Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,678   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad Film Back - 1997 Series... Possibly a real silly Question...

Hello,

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used Hasselblad Film Back A24. While I realize that 220 B&W film is limited to Tri-X 320, the asking price was very good!

I held off buying it for the following reason, and for lack of a better description, ... it looked like a fake knock off!

Serial number was EU####... which would put it as a 1997 model. It was black, with the dark slide holder built in. The thing that really got me however was that the magazine slide lock, was all black plastic , not the usual chrome or metal that I had expected. (All my backs are older, chrome and the slide lock key is metal chrome).

Another thing, on all my older magazines, once the insert is removed, where the knurled knob on the insert would mesh with the magazine shell itself, there is a Hasselblad label with all sorts of copyright stuff proudly proclaiming "made in Sweden...", on this one.... not there! . The one saving grace is that the back and insert do match!

This is not from "FleaBay", or from the back of a truck, the dealer has always stood by his stuff, but I still had a doubt.

So, am I being paranoid ... are there indeed "Hasselblad Fake Knock offs" out there, or did the quality of manufacturing go down .

If anyone out there has a Black (A12, A16, A24, does not really matter) back from around 1997 and it looks like this please post, let me know.

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one made in 1998, an A12 black, and the sliding round button on top that releases the magazine is still chrome, with a black leather dot on top of it. Maybe yours had been repaired and the repairman used a newer part? I don't think mine has the label inside. I should look and see. I remember an older one I had did but this newer one from 98 doesn't I think.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should have a metal button with a black dot on top of it, the "A24--6x6" should be also on top of the magazine, as for the text "Made in Sweden by Victor Hasselblad", it has been removed for that series.

It should be looking like this one

Image from Leica Shop

You said it was a very good price? Maybe you got a discount for the plastic release button.

Cheers

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 12-04-2008 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add image

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I have one made in 1998, an A12 black, and the sliding round button on top that releases the magazine is still chrome, with a black leather dot on top of it. Maybe yours had been repaired and the repairman used a newer part? I don't think mine has the label inside. I should look and see. I remember an older one I had did but this newer one from 98 doesn't I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Should have a metal button with a black dot on top of it, the "A24--6x6" should be also on top of the magazine, as for the text "Made in Sweden by Victor Hasselblad", it has been removed for that series.
    You said it was a good price? Maybe you got a discount for the plastic release button.

Cheers
    André

Chris & Andre,

Thanks for the quick response, ... now I do not have it in front of me, but I am 99.999% positive it did have the chrome Black dot release tab on the top, and it said "A24 6x6"... but that is not what I am talking about.

I am talking about the all plastic insert roll holder release key, on the side, the one that changes from white to red, as the film advances, the one that you have to turn to get the insert out and turn it again once the insert is in the shell, to open the film quide and return it to the shell, that is all black plastic not metal (chrome). Yes I realize that if the back is black, the key should be black, but at least black painted chrome, not plastic. Another thing, it seemed to be lighter in weight as if the whole thing was plastic.

Sounds crazy, but I am wondering if the old expression holds true... "they don't make things like they used to"

Thanks, any one else?

Andre, thanks for the picture, see the key on the side, this one in the picture you included, this one is chrome, the one I am talking about is all PLASTIC

The insert roll holder release key, that's what I am talking about! It appeared to be all plastic, not metal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back.jpg  
    Last edited by Ira Rush; 12-04-2008 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Include picture from Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok Ira, sorry for the misunderstanding, now, that's very weird, never seen or heard it before, sorry can't help at all, maybe some more Hasselblad users drop by and have something more helpful to say, I don't.

Cheers

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 12-04-2008 at 05:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a bunch of A12 mags dating from the 50's through the 00's and they're all solid with metal insert lock keys. I've never seen or heard of a mag with a plastic key. Then again I've never heard of a counterfeit A24. Does it smell bad? Maybe it's a Kiev?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I have a bunch of A12 mags dating from the 50's through the 00's and they're all solid with metal insert lock keys. I've never seen or heard of a mag with a plastic key. Then again I've never heard of a counterfeit A24. Does it smell bad? Maybe it's a Kiev?
    Nyet....

Nope, smells like Ludenberries or rather more like Swedish meatballs

Think I also vaguely remember that the film box tab holder on the back of the dark slide holder did have the Hassy ~ Sweden imprint.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My black A12 has a chrome release key too. I have never seen one with a black key.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still hard to believe someone would be making fakes?

By the age of my hassy stuff its hard to believe they made anything after about 1982

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Black insert keys are quite o.k. Even the later chrome trim magazines have black insert keys.

But lightweight, cheap plastic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin