Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,048   Online: 941

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Inexpensive and Mamiya 7 or 7II are directly opposite.

I see a Mamiya 645e suggested. It's a decent "modern" camera but it actually has fewer features than the Mamiya 1000s, so I don't think I would suggest it. The big difference is that the 645e will be a lot lighter than a 1000s with the prism ansd motor drive installed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Super Ikonta 532/16 is a superb camera. Like any camera from the 1950s, it should be serviced before being put into use.

I was just thinking that it's one of the few folders that handles like a 35mm SLR, in that you can cradle the camera in the left hand, focus with the middle finger of your left hand and release the shutter with the index finger of your right hand.

However, because it's a leaf shutter, you must manually tension the shutter and manually set aperture and shutter speed. You also give up one frame because of the autoframing mechanism.

The Super Ikonta III and IV offer similar ergonomics, a reformulated Tessar, 12 shots per roll and a lighter weight body. With the III and IV, you focus using the thumb of your left hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentax 6x7, hands down!

Shooter
    Large Format
    a folder with a coupled rangefinder so you don't have to
    deal with range focusing. i agree the medalist is a great
    camera, with good optics, but it is a 620, and quite expensive
    to have retrofitted to 120 and a pita to respool 120 flm onto 620 spools.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a while I considered Pentacon 6 cameras (and the cheaper russian knockoffs Kiev 66) to step up to MF from my Praktica. I quickly fell in love with the Way of the TLR, so I stuck to it and upgraded a Yashica to a Mamiya (still lusting for a Rollei though...). The only MF SLR I ended up trying was a Hasselblad, and only the price was a deterrent.

Most people rate the Pentacon 6 lenses as very good, and the bodies better than the russian equivalents.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Has to be the later model Koni-Omega rapids... 100 or 200...
    built like the proverbial tank with a nice pump-action wind-on... it will make you feel like taking photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The CZJ lenses for the Pentacon 6 are quite good, but the film transport is unreliable.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pentax 6x7 is merely a Spotmatic writ large. I loved the feel of it until arthritis started getting to me and making it "heavier." I still look at it lovingly, but tend to use a Ukrainian "Hasselbladski" when I want an slr mf.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I want that, I use my Mamiya M645 or M645 1000S bodies with 220 film (only Tri-X is available in 220 for black and white film) and a motor drive. I used to use a metered prism that came with the kit, but have sold it in order to get a plain prism instead. I didn't like that the metering information got in the way of the composition in the viewfinder. This is very 35-esque as long as you have the motor drive. If you use only the Left Hand Grip, it will seem backwards from a 35mm SLR. Also of note is that your hand-holdable speeds are higher due to mirror shake.

I am sure Pentax, Bronica, Contax, etc. are just as good, if not better.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I have a wonderful Yashica Mat 124G that gets seldom use.I find the twin lens format a bit awkward for my style of photography.
    Can someone recommend a single lens (God,not a Holga)medium format camera that would be cost effective (real inexpensive) and have pretty good optics.

Thanks
    I picked up a 'hardly-used' Mamiya 645e used on e*** with three lenses for very cheap indeed. Now, I wouldn't say it 'handles' as well as an SLR, it's kinda clunky, but you use it just like an SLR and so your instincts are spot on.

If you like rangefinders, the Mamiya 7II handles very nicely, but I wouldn't describe it as cheap. I have that one in my radar at the moment.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin