Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,003   Online: 885

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Hasselblad 503CW with motor drive grip and prism handles very much like a 35mm SLR.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Lots of suggestions, but everyone has missed the right answer: the Bronica RF645 is the medium format camera that handles most like a 35mm slr.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Because:

1. You can hand hold 645s at significantly slower shutter speeds given the same angle of view.
    2. Across the board, 645s have a better variety of faster lenses. Faster shutter speeds, better hand holdability, and ability to shoot in lower light. F/2.8 long lenses is a huge plus of a 645 system.
    3. Many 645 SLRs have interchangeable backs. Those 6x7 SLRs that have interchangeable backs are a good deal larger and heavier than 645s.
    4. You get 1.5x more shots per roll (1.6x more with a Contax or Fuji).
    5. 6x7 image quality is overkill for much work that lends itself to being shot hand held.
    6. 645s are less awkward to handle. They are lighter, smaller, and much more discreet than a Mamiya Press, RB/RZ, or a Pentax 6x7, etc.
    7. 645s are cheaper
    8. 6x7 SLR cameras are all significantly larger and WAY heavier than the TLR that the OP already thinks is "awkward".
    9. 645 cameras have an aspect ratio of 1.33:1, while 6x7 cameras have an aspect ratio of 1.25:1. (35mm is 1.5:1.) Many feel that the 1.33:1 is a more active aspect ratio than 1.25:1, and may find it more suited to capturing things in motion; a much more likely subject matter when shooting hand held.
    10. There are many leaf shutter lenses available for 645.
    11. Focal plane shutter 645s generally have a higher flash synch speed than focal plane shutter 6x7s. You cannot likely get a sharp hand held daytime shot using flash with '30 as a maximum synch speed. '60 on the 645 is doable with 55mm and wider lenses, and not too hard with an 80mm (normal).
    12. For a given angle of view, 645s give you more depth of field, which can be a huge benefit in hand held shooting.
    13. 645s are significantly easier to focus, especially in low light.

Most of these points will apply to any comparison between a larger and a smaller format.

The main issues for me when shooting hand held would be camera shake and maximum apertures of lenses.
    14. There's no practical and affordable way to project 6x7 slides.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    MF rangefinders have the smallest profile. My Bronica RF645 is similar in size to a Nikon F-100. The RF645's (3) lenses are smaller than a typical zoom. The RF645 has useful automated features without going over the top. It is a great camara.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only MF SLR that handles like a 35mm SLR is Pentax 67. Of course the latest Pentax 67II is the one that works exactly like a 35mm SLR. I use one. I set it to aperture priority AE and shoot with 220 rolls. I get 21 frames per roll. It works really exactly like my Contax RTS-II set to aperture priority Auto. Just crank the film, aim, focus and press the shutter button. Of course it is heavier. But it is actually a positive feature to be more stable on my hands. Despite speculations about mirror or shutter shake or vibration of this camera I don't get fuzzy images at all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin