Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,585   Online: 927

Shooter
    Medium Format

Diopter lens for Rollei TLR hood? Source?

I seek advice on how to choose the number of diopters for the flip-out magnifying lens. I know it will be positive, and not too strong. Maybe 1 or 2 diopters. I wear progressive bifocal glasses, and intend to keep them on for focusing. Using the flip-up lens to view the focusing screen, my glasses are almost effective enough, in the strongest parts, for good focusing.

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions for sourcing a lens or two. Thanks.

Larry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An optician might be a good place to start. At the very least, one can tell you exactly how strong the lens should be. At best, he can make the lens for you. Don't expect this from one of the big eyeglass places like Lenscrafters, et. al., but a local independent optician should be able to accomodate you.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got the +1 diopters for my flip up magnifiers and they work fine if I take off my reading glasses. So I took them back off and use my reading glasses to focus through the regular magnifier.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for advice - I do have a good local independent optician.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found a 'Contax' brand diopter lens on e-bay. These are just glass, with no mounting ring. That was just about the right size to fit on the eyecup holder of my Rollei 35mm. I affixed it with clear windshield glass glue and got a professional looking result.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have just bought a rolleiflex from ebay and mine came with +3 diopters.
    There are actually 2 lenses you need to change out, the flip out magnifying lens and also the one in front of 45 degree mirror.
    I think there is a good chance that there maybe someone here with +1 or +2 diopter sets in their hood who might want to do a swap with you. Good luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin