Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,206   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    ...But it seems like most of what I see here about the RB67 is negative. I hear everything from stories of poor quality lenses to poor lens choices to the camera being SO heavy it is only suitable for studio use...
    I'd like to see where all of this negativity is, I haven't seen it. My lenses certainly aren't poor quality, far from it. Is it heavy? Yeah, but not so heavy that it has to be confined to a studio. I regularly take my RB on mountain hikes up to 8-10 miles.

Mamiya hasn't been making them for almost 40 years because they are crap

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't own one but have used one for a while so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

They are pretty big and hefty. The lenses aren't bad at all. 6x7 is a nice, big size. The camera is cheap, accessories are plentiful and inexpensive. For the price of a used hasselblad lens (80mm or 150) you can get an rb with lens and back.

I distinctly remember two people having used them
    1) A young guy with an RZ Pro II and bracket with ae meter prism.
    2) An older guy with an RB and neck strap with walking cane (for his hip)

#1 didn't mind it, #2 wanted to go back to his nikon due to the weight and difficulty of focusing (for him).

I think that for the right person it's a great camera. Some people don't mind a bigger camera, or something that isn't a 35mm slr with motor drive.
    Different strokes for different folks. I use a 4x5 speed graphic handheld, the RB isn't much different..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But it seems like most of what I see here about the RB67 is negative. I hear everything from stories of poor quality lenses to poor lens choices to the camera being SO heavy it is only suitable for studio use.
    What? All I ever hear is positive.

I have a Pro SD. It's great on a tripod and, in my opinion, great hand held with the left hand grip (and waist level finder).

It is heavy though so if you want to use it handheld try one first.

Extra weight in a camera is good for hand holding up to a point as the inertia needed to move it is greater so camera shake is minimised. But as I said, only up to a point. If you lack the physical strength to hold it you may find that you strain and start to add shake to it.

I think you should do a bit more research and try to find the positive things people say about this camera.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    With the prices what they are, I have REALLY been wanting to make the jump to medium format lately. And I can't help but notice that the Mamiya RB67 is about cheap as you can get in medium format without going with a Holga, Diana, or something by the Lomographic Society. This, of course appeals to me, along with the larger, detail-packed 6x7 frame (vs, say, 6x4.5). Of course, this can be increased to 6x8 as well with the power back. But it seems like most of what I see here about the RB67 is negative. I hear everything from stories of poor quality lenses to poor lens choices to the camera being SO heavy it is only suitable for studio use (I guess I've never seen one in person). Are all of these things basically true? Would I REALLY be better off spending a few hundred more on something else (because nothing else truly comes close when it comes to cheapness)?
    A very high proportion of Mamiya RB67s have been used professionally, particularly for fashion work in the studio where it is normal to shoot literally dozens of rolls of film a day. A camera used in this way may still look quite good cosmetically but has virtually been pounded to scrap. It is also not unknown in the heat of the moment for lenses to be dropped. I would bet that almost everyone who has had reliability problems with second-hand RB67 has equipment of this kind.

I have had a 4-lens RB67 outfit for 12 years from new, absolutely no problems used in the studio and field, but for me now at the age of 60, it is more weight than I want to carry for any distance (I prefer Rollei TLR or Fuji GW690III for this). RB67 prices are depressed somewhat because it has been discontinued - its electronic sister camera the RZ67 remains, this is easier to mate with a digital back but of course suffers from cold-weather problems like any battery-dependent camera.

In absoluute terms I think the Hasselblad Zeiss lenses have got a slight edge (most non-photographers wouild not notice) but the cost of anything in the Hasselblad system other than a body, magazine and 80 mm lens is astronomical and even the basic camera is not cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reason for the low price is that the Mamiya 6x7 models were the most popular studio cameras for pros for years, about 5 years ago these pros started to move to digital and sold off their cameras. The laws of supply and demand being what they are a glut of S/H Mamiyas = low prices. This does not by any means put them in the Holga/Lubitel bracket quality wise.
    While I personally used Rollei and then 'blads for my work, but I knew many pros who love their RBs and got great results from them. The lenses are by no means inferior to most comparable pro gear in fact they rate among the best. Like has been suggested if you can't get good results from one the fault doesn't lie with the superb lenses.
    As for weight and handling that's too personal for me to comment, each one of us uses what feels comfortable, you'll have to try and find somewhere where you can hold one and see if it feels right for you.
    Great camera, great lenses- at the moment a bargain.
    Last edited by Mark Antony; 12-10-2008 at 04:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Build like a bloody tank, hand-holdable (especially with the multi-angle grip), and probably my best purchase since my first SLR. My university keeps a stock of the "C" lenses, and a few bodies. I'm told they don't fail often, even in the hands of students. I haven't been able to break it. I use it for long exposures on the streets here at night, most traffic slows down as they think I'm a cop with a radar-gun...
    Good fun.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoy my Mamiya RB 67. It might be a little on the heavy side, but still useable. The lenses I have are excellent.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who was that Weston guy that ditched his Rollei SL66 for an RB ?

name escapes me...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Who was that Weston guy that ditched his Rollei SL66 for an RB ?

name escapes me...
    Brad? Bruce? Bart?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin