Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,852   Online: 1022

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I would buy several of them while their value has tanked. They can't go all that much lower. Even RZs are cheap now. They are one of the greatest cameras ever made. If you can't make good pix with them, the problem is not the camera.
    My thoughts exactly.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Great cameras! I've owned one for years; they're hand-holdable, the bellows focusing is easier and more precise than helical focusing, at least for me. Some of the wider lenses, most notably the 50mm, were criticized for not producing optimum sharpness - which they wouldn't be (sharp) if the user wasn't aware of the floating element function to control full frame (flat field) sharpness at close distances - in most cases, if not all, that was the problem (user error).

I never had a malfunction with the RB Pro SD and the KL lenses still amaze me for image quality.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    Some of the wider lenses, most notably the 50mm, were criticized for not producing optimum sharpness - which they wouldn't be (sharp) if the user wasn't aware of the floating element function to control full frame (flat field) sharpness at close distances - in most cases, if not all, that was the problem (user error).
    The technical term for this is Operator Assisted Failure => OAF.

Usage: "The OAF did not focus the lens properly."

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm very happy with my RB67 Pro-S, and find it perfectly hand-holdable with the 'L' grip. As for lenses, again no problems with sharpness. All mine are 'C' or later and produce really sharp and detailed negs. My 127mm is, if anything, too sharp for portraits of anyone with less than perfect skin!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be fair to the OP, I bet you can not find one thread where the RB67 is discussed that one or more posts don't say you have to use a tripod and that it is a heavy sucker.

If you've never used one, or even seen one, I can understand those statements being construed as negative.

I had one years ago and discount those concerns. BUT, it is a heavy sucker.

I'm tempted get one again but with a Hassy and Zone VI 4x5, that format doesn't make much sense for me.

For the lens, my only mistake was not getting the 127mm lens. But that is a personal choice. Whatever the format, I like a little longer than normal lens, if I'm only going to have one lens.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I think the RB67 is an excellent camera.
    But my extensive kit is for sale. If you want it email me off list.
    michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Brad? Bruce? Bart?
    Bert ?

Dunno, some nobody.

Seriously, here is a bit from Steve Anchell's interview with Brett Weston:

SA: You began your career in 1925, at the age of 13, with a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Graflex your father gave you. What other cameras have you used or do you prefer?

BW: My mother gave me an 8x10 view camera in 1930. It cost $25.00 back then. I must have been 20 or so. Over the years, most of my work has been done with either 8x10 or 11x14. In recent years I've suffered a series of accidents and setbacks which have prevented me from physically handling the big cameras. I've come to rely almost entirely on 2 1/4. The Rollei SL66 and the Pentax 6x7, I call it my giant 35. For abstractions and close-in things, I prefer the big Mamiya 6x7.

Here's the link. Bloody wonderful:

http://www.steveanchell.com/index.ph...tent&task=view
    Last edited by df cardwell; 12-10-2008 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post

I doubt that thing is going to sell. Most people just want a working camera, and are not willing to pay this kind of price for this sort of thing. And with SO many of these selling for around a third the starting bid on this one, who would actually go for it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In my commercial days, the photographers had a saying "645 glorified 35. 6x7 made in heaven"
    I have had my RB since 1982 and its been my best camera for most of that time. It and I once fell of a little cliff. I made it but the camera hit a stone. I thought it was toast but the damn thing kept going. I just had it clean and checked and the camera tech gave my old RB a clean bill of health. What a glorious camera!
    With the letters RB like in my name, It's got to be a great camera!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used an RB Pro-S for years. Great camera, great glass. I bought it because I had a 6x7 neg holder for my LPL 700 enlarger. The RB, RZ etc are an extremely flexible camera system. I only sold mine to get into 4x5 and now have a number of roll film backs to go with the 4x5. The bargains are certainly out there; you don't have to pay very much for a top shelf outfit. Beware the floating lens elements on wide lenses! Cheers Michael.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin