Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,098   Online: 930

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, it is, as usual, each to their own. The whole idea of Q/R plates is that there is no need to carry a tripod mounted camera over the shoulder. The Rolleifix is well thought out. It has studs on the front to locate with the sockets on the camera front to clamp the unit, make it solid and eliminate any chance of back distortion. Any system which relies on only the screw thread to hold the camera becomes entirely dependant on the back closure catch and the back hinges.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Linhof.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have always considered Bogens to be a good value -- with your height (same as mine) I would go with the next size up from the 3001 (3021?
    The model may be the 3011.... I used this small pod with success with an MXV many years back. Plenty of support but portable. I originally had the small 3025 head and then later, a medium-sized ballhead and they both work fine with the Rollei's. These cameras are so smooth and stable that they don't require much mass for control. I tend toward overkill on tripod sizes but in this case, the little 3011 is perfectly adequate.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Craig, I am not familiar with the 3011. The 3021 might be over-kill for a TLR...we use them for lightweight 4x5 set-ups (Horseman Woodfields w/ 150mm lens)...so the 3011 might be a better fit.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Gitzo Reporter (its pretty old, but they may still be around). I also have the bogen 3021. Unless I'm using the 4x5, I use the gitzo. It is smaller, and very sturdy. One nice feature is that the legs can spread out farther to give a lower point of view, if necessary. I haven't got a ball head, but I believe they are available.
    Last edited by bowzart; 12-11-2008 at 01:52 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add additional feature

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, my little Siamese cat is snuggled against my side now, so I can type. At least he is no longer on the computer.

For height and good stability (I am 6 feet 3 inches), I use a Bogen / Manfrotto 3036. It is very stable and quickly damps any vibration. The additional clamp knobs for the center column to tripod leg braces do add to the time for setup, but they also help with stability. Yes, it is heavier, but that is a major factor with the ability to damp vibration. It is my main tripod for my 35 mm, 2 & 1/4 Square, and 4 by 5 stuff. My old Davis and Sanford Model B is reserved for the 4 by 5 only.

For portability with the 35 mm and 2 & 1/4 Square, I have a Bogen 3021-S. It can go inside the airline carry-on bag.

It does seem that as with cameras, one size tripod (or camera format) may not be the best choice for every application. The optimum situation may be to have more than one. What do you want to do?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am guessing I am not the only person here amassing enough tripods to start a used tripod store.
    I don't remember model numbers but I have a very heavy Gitzo with huge oversized wing nut type tighteners. I also have the largest Bogen I know of. Also the most common of Gitzo for 4x5, as well as the smaller of the zone 6 wooden tripods. Along with a tilt all and the Rollei tripod. And yet I still an thinking I need a carbon fiber manfrotto.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks for the many reply.

What I am needing is a general purpose setup that is good value for money. I had thought about Manfrotto 055 as it is widely available and easy to resell, but it felt cheap when I played with it in the store. I also saw a Gitzo reporter on ebay, seems solid enough, let hope it don;t get too expensive.

Aside from the Rolleiflex. I also have a FED2 that I use occasionally hand held.

Another question, Is it possible to use the Rolleifix by attacthing to the tripod without ballhead?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Another question, Is it possible to use the Rolleifix by attacthing to the tripod without ballhead?
    Sure, but then you wouldn't have a very easy time leveling the camera. I do this with a monopod (Rolleifix to monopod with no head)... but that is easy to level.

Re: your initial question - my set-up is Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 with 486 ballhead and Rolleifix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nobody's mentioned Ries. I've got one of those. A bit different to get used to. Wooden tripods are lighter than metal ones. Other ones from a bygone era, the Tiltall and it's cousin another aluminum the same as the Tiltall, called Star D.

Tripod store, Dennis? I wish I had it in me to do something like that. Not just tripods, either. Its easy to bring stuff home, but awful hard to make it go the other way! I have a vast accumulation of those phony little tabletop tripods and cheap box camera ones made of sheet metal that I was picking up compulsively because I was using a pinhole camera design that really needed to be "low down".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin