Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,555   Posts: 1,599,278   Online: 1160

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Tripod recommandation for Rolleiflex.

I broke my last Rollei beyond repair because I was using a flimsy tripod with a poorly designed quick release plate. The Rollei lost its balance and fell off the windowsill. My bad, very expensive mistake.

After saving for 2 years I have a Rollei again, this time a MX-EVS, an upgrade from my previous Automat2.

Now that I have been burnt once the first asscessorie I got was a beat up rolleifix, however I am lost as to what kind of Tripod I should get.

I am 6ft3in tall do mostly potrait stuff. Can anyone recommand me a tripod that is a good comprimise between price and safety? Also I use an array of Vivitar 283 the I got for cheap as my flash setup. Is there anyway to combine the tripod/flash/rollei setup together?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is a really good tripod that used to be made by Rollei but you have to watch for it on ebay where they sell really cheap. It is my favorite tripod with a gitzo ball head on top. Remember if you don't use the prism you don't really need a full height tripod. I use the prism though so I like a tripod that goes up nearly 6 feet.

Just be careful with the Rolleifix. I hate the Rolleifix. It is very easy to put the camera on it and not have it quite seated right and you turn around and the camera falls off the top of your tripod. I did that at the beach and it fell into the sand.

Also it is nearly impossible to use the Rolleifix without scratching up the bottom of the front plate on your camera. You have to be very careful and make certain to get the Rolleifix nubs up into the sockets for them on the camera. I decided to get a Rolleifix especially for a trip and the very first thing I did the very first time I put my camera on it was to put two ugly scratches on the bottom of the camera.

I prefer the bogen hex plate. I use the large 4 inch one that allows all four feet on the bottom of the Rollei to sit on the plate and give you great stability. It is very quick and easy to take the plate off to change film and then put it back on to go on the tripod. The bogen hex plate snaps into the holder very solid. I use the same type 4 inch plate for my 8x10 camera as well.

I have used the Vivitar 283 and 285 many times with my Rollei. There is an inexpensive L bracket that holds the flash and has a tripod connection on the bottom. The flash bracket makes a really good handle to hold the Rollei and still allows you to focus. I find it easier than holding and focusing the camera without it. The problem with the L bracket is that the tripod connection on the bottom sticks out and will not allow you to sit the camera down except on it's back.

Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have always considered Bogens to be a good value -- with your height (same as mine) I would go with the next size up from the 3001 (3021? -- they have changed the model numbers)...or you might go with the same size Feisol pod from http://reallybigcameras.com/ .

The MX-EVS was my first camera and I still use a Rollei TLR occasionally. I prefer a ballhead, so you might take a look at the ballheads at http://reallybigcameras.com/ also (Photo Clams). Ballheads just seem to work the best for me when using the waist-lever finder...they allow one to move the camera almost like there was no pod. (if that makes any sense!)

I have no experience with the Rolleifix or with flash.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Images
    I actually love the Rolleifix, and recommend it. It stabilizes the entire camera and protects the back from being bent due to torquing the camera while it is being wound while mounted to a solid tripod. Of course, check that your camera is properly attached before letting go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Manfrotto 055 with and 029 head. with my Rollei and other cameras. Quite sturdy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Feisol 3301 has a max height of 72" (which is very close if not identical to the Bogen 3021). With a ballhead, which makes the most sense for a square format camera, you'll be quite well served especially if you aren't using a prism finder and have to look down. The Feisol is an exceptionally good value for a carbon fiber pod, and the light weight of a modest sized ball head makes the whole kit very, very convenient to schlep around.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The use of the Rolleifix is a 'must' when mounting the camera on a tripod. Franke & Heidecke were not stupid in designing such an item for all the reasons jmcd has said. Of course the camera has to be correctly seated and the clamp applied but then you wouldn't only half tighten the screw if mounting a camera directly on to the head would you? Another reason is that if the screw is too long it is possible that the camera back/base could be damaged or even perforated by the head of the screw if overtightened. This advice was passed on to me by an extremely knowledgeable Rollei repairman. As to tripods, I use a Manfrotto 055 with a 141? handles everywhere head. Not carbon fibre/graphite, that's for fly rods isn't it, but solid and very stable. The last thing you need is one which blows over in a breeze, or if you cough! To be fair, I have no experience of the forementioned type so perhaps it is unfair to pass comment, but I was brought up to believe that tripods have to be heavy - the weight difference doesn't seem that great anyway, at least compared to the price differencial.
    Last edited by Allan Swindles; 12-10-2008 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    The use of the Rolleifix is a 'must' when mounting the camera on a tripod. Franke & Heidecke were not stupid in designing such an item for all the reasons jmcd has said.
    This is all made even clearer when you try to mount a Yashica 124G to a tripod.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Allan Swindles;720309]"The use of the Rolleifix is a 'must' when mounting the camera on a tripod. Franke & Heidecke were not stupid in designing such an item for all the reasons jmcd has said. "

That is a matter of opinion. It is true that the sheet metal of the back is soft enough to bend if you put the camera on a tripod and carry it over your shoulder or put a prism on it and look straight down. However using the bogen 4 inch hex plate makes the camera even more solid than the Rolleifix. I guarantee if you use the Rolleifix a lot you will damage your camera either by scratching the bottom of the face plate or by dropping it accidentally. If you like the Rolleifix then good. Be happy. I hate it and I find using the Bogen hex plate to be safer and quicker.

Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the "vote" for Feisol. I use one 3401 with a CB-50 head for my Hasselblad and I'm very satisfied with it. Great value for money.
    In windy conditions, see to that the center column (if you want one) has a hook on the bottom of it, so that you can hang your bag (or whatever that weighs in at a few pounds) to weigh the whole setup down a bit. (This is where the 'blad is really excellent. I always carry a couple of extra magazines and a few lenses, so my bag is quite heavy, as compared to the light and flimsy 'flex, where you only carry some extra film. )

//Bj÷rn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin