Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 722

Shooter
    35mm

choices of a MF SLR?

Hello,

i am planning to buy MF SLR
    the cameras i am looking at are the
    1. Kiev 88 CM MLU from ARAX
    2. Bronica S2
    3. Bronica GS-1

however i dont know much about the Bronica camera
    would it cost a lots when i want to expand my system

i know the cost for the new ARAX 88 is actually close to a 2nd hand hassy 500CM, but the cost for a 2nd lens from hassy is far more expensive than i can afford...

the reliability of the ARAX modified cam. also sounds quite good
    and there are quite a lots of good lenses when consider about their price

i am wondering how much will be a 40mm lens for S2 or a 50mm for GS-1?

also, is there any adapter for using pentacon lens on S2? as they are both focal plain shutter camera
    if an adapter is available, the S2 will be the best choice, am i right?

thanks very much

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose first up, you need to decide between 6x6 and 6x7. The 6x7 cameras are generally quite a bit bigger.

Two other MF SLR systems you may want to consider:
    - for 6x6, the Bronica SQ-A or SQ-B
    - for 6x7, the Mamiya RB/RZ 67

Additional lenses and accessories for both these (and the GS-1) are fairly reasonable, and easy enough to find.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Having had hem all, go for the GS-1....bes t of the all by a long shot...
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a strange group. Format ,age etc are different. What are you looking for? Features? Uses?

The Kievs made sense years back. I don't think they make the same sense today. The main draw remaining with the Kiev's is the fisheye.

You can surf over to the www.keh.com and check the various prices.

If you want to use Kiev lens and don't mind 645 the best choice is likely either the Mamiya 645 or the Pentax. You'll get a reliable modern camera body and the Kiev lenses. But good quality Kiev lenses aren't that much less anymore. The really nice Arax prepped lenses can be more money then used lenses from the other MF makers.

But what do you want?

Shooter
    35mm
    hmmmmm...

my main concern is actually the tilt-shift lens...
    that's why i ask if there is a adapter for the pentacon lens on S2 'cos it has a focal plain shutter

the GS-1 is very attractive to me as it has a larger format
    but not the Mamiya... i want to hand hold it whenever possible

have checked the price on KEH
    and they doesn't seem to have the S2 and it's lenses,
    is it because they are too old?
    Last edited by Crono; 12-14-2008 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you really want the tilt-shift lens, then instead of the Kiev/Arax 88CM, you may want to consider the cheaper, simpler and more reliable Arax 60. Apart from the TS lens, you also have access then to a wide range of fairly decent, affordable lenses from Germany and Russia/Ukraine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland View Post
    If you really want the tilt-shift lens, then instead of the Kiev/Arax 88CM, you may want to consider the cheaper, simpler and more reliable Arax 60. Apart from the TS lens, you also have access then to a wide range of fairly decent, affordable lenses from Germany and Russia/Ukraine.
    The Kiev/Arax 88CM is also the Pentacon/Practica lens mount. All the East German lenses will work with it also.

I have both the Kiev 88CM and the Kiev/Arax 60. The 88CM is by far a more robustly feeling camera, and with the newest design Kiev film backs, works great.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin