Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 836

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya RB 67 Lenses?

If you could only have 2 lenses for a Mamiya RB 67 what would they be?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    50mm 180mm
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    65 and 127.

After that, the 210.

I would definitely not go for the 50.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    50mm & 90mm I use those 90% of the time. I have a 250mm but it just don't see much use, but love the 50mm.
    Last edited by 23mjm; 12-26-2008 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Okay, so after just stumbling on this thread and reading the last two posts, I have to ask each of you, why? Keith, why would you NOT use the 50, and 23mjm, why do you love the 50?
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So, here's what I have [and what I have used] on the rb pro sd: 37, [50], 65, 90, 127 KL, 150 SF, 180 KL, 210 KL apo, 360. All are/were the newest models, except the 360 is an oldie. Of those the only one that disappointed me was the 50; it did not have good corner sharpness and also had significant distortion. This was best seen with the 6x8 back; if you cropped in a bit then it probably wouldn't matter so much, but I use the 6x8 back routinely.

Though it is probably an unfair comparison, I once compared the rb 50 to the 50 on my mamiya 6 and that just trashed the rb 50 utterly. Really no comparison at all. Night and day. After that I traded away the rb 50, and purchased an rz pro 2 just to get the 50 uld. Then I depinned an rz 110/2.8 and I use that on the rb for close focus, it is a very nice little thing, too bad it's not in the standard rb lineup.

When I first bought the rb, I used a 127 and loved it immediately. I see no weakness in this lens whatsoever. The 90 is also super, but I prefer the 127. I only use the 90 for one specialized purpose: it mates to a silly 360 degree gizmo that I use from time to time. I have no complaints with the 90 except that when you compare it to the 110/2.8, you think, damn, the 90 is one big ass lens and it isn't very fast! Oh well :rolleyes:

The 180 has, in my opinion, a really hard task up against the 210 kl apo. The 210 is the shortest apo in the rb line and I can report that it is spectacularly, jaw-droppingly sharp, and still with that characteristically smooth OOF rendering that mamiyans value.

Now, I am not one to shoot test charts at home or whatever, but I have for some years been willing to loan out lenses to local colleagues to try and so forth. I think that is the best way to put one's money where one's mouth is. Anybody within driving distance of me should know that they can come over and see for themselves. I did not keep the rb 50 though, so you'll have to try that somewhere else!

I would not dispute that different people will pick different lenses. As I say, the only lens I ever had issues with was the 50; I researched it and discovered that there is a broad consensus that the rz 50 uld is better, so I don't think my findings were unusual.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well first I shoot 6X7, not 6X8 on my RB. The 50mm gives a wonderful perspective and my copy is sharp as a tack corner to corner. It is just as sharp as my 90mm. I have read that people have trouble with edge/corner sharpness, but I have not seen this in either of my copies. They are just wonderful. The 50mm has the floating element and you have to be mindful of your focus distance and adjust the ring accordingly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50mm and a 180mm. I love them both.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kinda have the same outfit as keith, except for the 37 and I have a 250 not the apo 210, but I can count on one hand the times I've used the 50, but the 65 sits on one body constantly, and is used for nearly any wide shots.

The image circle on the 50 FLE is quite a bit smaller than the 65, that might explain the issues with the 6x8 image Keith. Used for 6x7, the copy I have has been well cared for, and performs flawlessly, but except for a few specialized uses, it doesn't get much play.

If I had to choose 2 and only two, it'd be the 65 and either the 150 or 180 (yes, I know the 150 is a soft focus, but once you play with it and get used to it's qurks, it can be an amazing lens, stopped down to f8-f11, it's razor sharp and has the most incredibly smooth OOF highlights of any lens I've ever seen)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    90 or 127 and the 180, those are my favs, i have the 65 also but dont use it much, and for a special effect the 150 sf,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin