Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,668   Online: 874

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Not only other manufacturers. Other FLE lenses for Hasselblad have the floating element moved by the focussing helicoid too.
    Which ones? The 40 and 50 are the only Hasselblad FLE lenses I know of. I'm talking about the 500 series cameras, not the focal plane shutter cameras.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A restriction! I see...

But even with that restriction: the latest (and probably last) 40 mm Distagon has floating elements that are moved when you use the normal focussing ring.

Shooter
    35mm
    Holy thread revival!
    I figured ( again) that i would add to this info, instead of starting my own... I just picked up a 65mm KL for my RZ... a few questions:

1) regarding the Floating system... actually regarding figuring out "focused distance" On a the longer lenses, ( like my 180) the Distance Scale on the camera body seems easy to understand, as the red and blue lines continue on underneath the the numerical values printed on the, making it easy to see which number they came closest to ( or so i thought! ) Now using the 65mm, the blue line for the 65mm lens comes nowhere near the numbers. This tells me i am doing something wrong here. But what.

2) secondly, i assume when using the RB lens on the RZ body, the shutter speed ring on the lens itself over-rides the shutter speed knob on the RZ body? Seems thats the case anyway. ?

3) i assume adjustments of the floating lens ring are invisible thru the finder.... much like depth of field being invisible to the finder, but real on the film nonetheless.... correct?

Thanks!

- Grae

Shooter
    35mm
    no one wanna take a crack at this? ... ^

Shooter
    Large Format
    Grae,

1.) What's probably throwing you off is that you're using an RB lens on a RZ camera. RB lenses require a bit more focus extension on the RZ camera to reach infinity focus. As the chart on the side of the camera is figured for RZ lenses, it won't match up with a RB lens.

2.) Yes -- the RB lenses are completely mechanical, and have no electrical contacts with the RZ body. The shutter speed dial on the RZ won't do a thing because there is no way for it to control a RB lens. It's best to set the dial on the camera to "RBL" (if I remember right this turns off the body/lens electronics) when you have a RB lens on the RZ.

3.) I've never been able to see the floating lens adjustments on my 65mm while looking through the camera, but I can tell you they do show up on the film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Danny, thanks! that helps a ton.... so i will have to guess on my distances i assume.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    do i take it to mean that ALL Mamiya rb67 50mm and 65mm lenses use the floating element design irrespective of whether they are non c or c series ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you look closely while adjusting the element the focus shift is visible. Watch the background. It's sorta like the Nikor 135mm SF
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    What's funny is that Hasselblad's floating element lenses, the 40mm and 50mm FLE Distagons, have helical focusing but still have a second ring for the floating elements. A real pain, since the other manufacturers ho use helical focusing have the floating elements automatically adjust as you focus.
    Well, as You can see, there is a shutter and aperture mechanism between helical mount and FLE, so it would be quite difficult to implement synchronized control of the FLE correction on those lenses...

With a little practice it becomes natural to adjust correction and then focus the image

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And with a little practice also, Zeiss managed to put a 'linked' FLE and shutter assembly in a helicoid focussing lens too. See the latest incarnation of their Hasselblad 40 mm Distagon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin