Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,566   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Advice on planning for a trip.

Hi Guys ( and gals )

I'm planning a trip to Holland in September. Some time off I know but I'm planning out what kit to take with me.

Currently I use 35mm but I'm planning on getting some Medium Format kit both for next semester at University and this project. I was thinking of getting a TLR for urban work (architecture and street) in 6x6 as the square format appeals so advice on that front would be appreciated.

However for the trip to Holland I am planning on doing work and visiting the sites of Operation Market Garden. It occured to me it would be interesting to take some of the photos on a period camera. Especially one likely to have been carried by paratroopers and XXX corps soldiers. Therefore I was considering something like a VPK ( I know they were used in WWI - guessing as the model b was produced till just before the war good chance they were used then too ) or something similar.

I know using a VPK requires 127 film which I believe can still be aquired.

Question is is this a good idea or should I stick to MF or 35mm?

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a thought....35mm and 120 gear were also carried by the troops, so a camera from that era doesn't need to be limited by obscure film sourcing.

Jo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In the Market Garden region, you will not find original scenes, infrastructure, or artifacts except in the museums. These plus monuments and cemeteries are about all that remains to photograph. World War II was a war of mobility, so little was disturbed and less was left intact. The possible exceptions are the Normandy fortifications and famous beaches. So, I'd not be concerned about trying to capture the original "look" of the war with period equipment. Your 35mm gear should be fine.

If you want to get into original scenery, you need to go back to WWI, which was a war of stagnation, fixed fortifications, trenches and massive artillery barrages. In Verdun, France, for example, there are many bombed out structures, gun emplacements, miles of original trenches, and acres of pock marked terrain. One can create an original "look" more easily there, although I don't think original equipment is as important as film selection.
    Mike Richards' Mobile Me gallery, including the Holocaust and Turkey Expo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Speed Graphic would certainly have been found among the gear carried by photographers of that era.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
    In the Market Garden region, you will not find original scenes, infrastructure, or artifacts except in the museums. These plus monuments and cemeteries are about all that remains to photograph. World War II was a war of mobility, so little was disturbed and less was left intact. The possible exceptions are the Normandy fortifications and famous beaches. So, I'd not be concerned about trying to capture the original "look" of the war with period equipment. Your 35mm gear should be fine.

If you want to get into original scenery, you need to go back to WWI, which was a war of stagnation, fixed fortifications, trenches and massive artillery barrages. In Verdun, France, for example, there are many bombed out structures, gun emplacements, miles of original trenches, and acres of pock marked terrain. One can create an original "look" more easily there, although I don't think original equipment is as important as film selection.
    Oh I know, and this was especially true of Market Garden. However there are origonal buildings still in existance and September 2009 is the 65th anniversary so I fully expect there to be period equipment and aircraft around.

Much of the origonal buildings I do exist though I believe including the Hotel ( now the museum which is currently closed, hopefully it'll re-open by september - be silly if it fails in that).

The main reason for considering period equipment was that it would be an interesting exersize to use the same equipment. It's quite likely the work would go towards my degree so it's also another facet for that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you will not find original scenes, infrastructure, or artifacts
    Well, the bridges are still there. And if not all original, the places they are in are still there too. So are the rivers and canals they cross. And the sites of the droppings. The route along which relieve should have come too.

But Holland is the wrong place to go to.
    It all happened in North-Brabant and Gelderland. Not in Holland.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    *chuckles* I guess your dutch Q.C.?

I appreciate the correction, I did of course mean 'Netherlands'

And yes as I understood it much of the buildings, routes and bridges are intact.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep. Dutch. "Netherlandish"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Anyway back to the origonal question.

I'm hoping to have a TLR by then that I want to use in other project before hand ( hoping to get a Mamiya C2xx or C3xx as they seem the best choice ).

The idea of using a camera on this trip that was from the era is one I'd like to explore although I don't know if the VPK is a sensible choice. Speed graphic is likely to be too pricey. So thoughts on that. Obviously 35mm isn't a bad format and is nice and mobile but if I have a period MF camera would doing the whole thing on MF be more sensible or just forget the period camera idea and stick to modern 35mm?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd say it's a question that only you can answer.
    As far as taking pictures is concerned, it doesn't really matter much what you use, does it?
    So what are your reasons for thinking about doing it using a period camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin