Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,091   Online: 909

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    A final thought, Loose-Moose; and I express it at the risk of being hooted off the board. Some years back, I purchased a Ukrainian Hasselbladski--a Kiev 88, to see if I liked the feel of that kind of camera before sinking the golden grickles into a real "Blad.
    HOOT, Hoot, hoot!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    HOOT, Hoot, hoot!
    I wuld behang mah haid in shame, 'ceptin I doan wanna drop no kamera from da nek. Guess I shuda nevurav solt dat Rollyflex 2.8, with al dem 'sessories. Or guv way dem Rollypollychorts, neithur.:rolleyes:
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    A final thought, Loose-Moose; and I express it at the risk of being hooted off the board. Some years back, I purchased a Ukrainian Hasselbladski--a Kiev 88, to see if I liked the feel of that kind of camera before sinking the golden grickles into a real "Blad.
    I kind of like the feel; and thus far have not sprung for the real thing. Despite all the criticism about reliability, this thing has just plugged along every time I choose to take it out to play. I did eventually have to have the aperture blades on the prime lens cleaned, but the whole outfit cost me 255 dollars and change about ten years ago, which included a metered prism. Perhaps I will have to get the Blad someday, after I dispose of other medium format equipment I use less and less now--a Yahica 635 and a Yash 12; and a Pentax 6x7Also, I must admit, I also kind of like the anti-snobbery of my proletarian Swedish lookalike. Now, back to my Argoflex!.
    I had a Mamiyaflex C-330. Sank lots of money in it to have it CLAed. It kept acting up. Sank the golden grickles into a real "Blad and never regretted going the distance.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Sirius Glass;730336]I had a Mamiyaflex C-330. Sank lots of money in it to have it CLAed. It kept acting up.
    I was told those cameras had a brass wind gear mated to one of harder metal which wore down the softer metal under hard use. I do not know if that were true. My C-3 and C330 got only light use and neither gave me any trouble. At about that time I worked one summer doing kid's home portraits: the company issued Yashica Ds which we pounded every day. After a year, the company just trashed them. I do not think the Mamiyas would have held up that long as a beater. But who would want to do that, anyway.

Sank the golden grickles into a real "Blad and never regretted going the distance.
    I know I shall have to get around to getting a 'blad one of these days. [I] guess the 500Cs are getting a bit long in the tooth by now; what would be a more recent equivalent to the 500c?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [quote=Anscojohn;730372]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I had a Mamiyaflex C-330. Sank lots of money in it to have it CLAed. It kept acting up.
    I was told those cameras had a brass wind gear mated to one of harder metal which wore down the softer metal under hard use. I do not know if that were true. My C-3 and C330 got only light use and neither gave me any trouble. At about that time I worked one summer doing kid's home portraits: the company issued Yashica Ds which we pounded every day. After a year, the company just trashed them. I do not think the Mamiyas would have held up that long as a beater. But who would want to do that, anyway.

Sank the golden grickles into a real "Blad and never regretted going the distance.
    I know I shall have to get around to getting a 'blad one of these days. [i] guess the 500Cs are getting a bit long in the tooth by now; what would be a more recent equivalent to the 500c?
    The baffle door that closes when the lenses are being changed kept flopping back and forth and I did not know it. After I lost photos and some complete rolls of film I dumped the C330

I have a 500 CX and I am very happy with it. I do not have a need for motorized film advance.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll buy your broken TLRs?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get that Autocord fixed. They are excellent cameras. Karl Bryan in Beaverton, OR makes a specialty of fixing these, and he does a nice job too. I've got his contact info somewhere if you want me to find it -- or you might well find it if you search photo.net (or maybe here).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Nick -- I'd appreciate the info if you can find it, just pm me with the details. (I'll try looking in the meantime).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Mamiya C220's and a 'blad 503cx. The 'blad is a fantastically sturdy machine, and one that is built to the highest standards; but it can be a tempermental beast. You must follow the procedures for mounting and dismounting lenses precisely or it can jam up on you. Ask me how I know this. It cost me $300 to get two backs adjusted and the lens unjammed because of my ham-fisted handling. The C220's just keep chugging along, and don't give up much in the way of image quality to the 'blad. The C220's go out onto the street with me. The 'blad stays pretty much confined to controlled environments.

While I think the Rollies are good machines, I would not trade even one of my C220's for one for several reasons. It is the only TLR that has interchangeable lenses. Lens sets are available in focal lengths from 55 mm. to 250 mm. The bodies have a unique bellow focusing system that allows for extremely close work without the need for expensive accessories. Try that with a 'blad or a Rollie. They are relatively inexpensive. Lenses won't cost you an arm and a leg, and they are all good quality optics.

In short, you get a lot of bang for the buck with the Mamiya TLR's. The trick is to find one that hasn't been abused too badly. It might take some time to find one, but they're around.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you have to decide what type of machine you want, If you like your Minolta get it fixed and have fun. If you want a TLR with inter-changeable lenses C220/330 are fine machines although I would be tempted to go for a good used 'blad as they are plentiful.

I will echo that which had been stated by Mr Purdy, a Rolleiflex serviced and cleaned will last you and keep giving top results. Last summer I bought a Rollei T (a cheaper flex with a Tessar 3,5) had it serviced and can say it it a wonderful camera for the £100 I paid (with £80 service) the only thing I'd replace it with is a 3.5 F planar.
    Rolleis are well made, plentiful with loads of accessories; prisms, close up lenses 35mm conversion kits, etc.
    A serviced one is a camera that will turn out reliable quality images for years to come.
    Here is mine:
    Rolleiflex T
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Antony; 01-05-2009 at 08:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added URL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin