Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,636   Online: 871

sim

Shooter
    35mm

'Blads & lens types

Hallo to you all,

This is probably going to sound a really dumb question but....

I am still thinking of migrating to a secondhand Hasselblad system but am a bit confused to the different types of specifications on the lenses e.g.

C
    CF
    CFi
    CB
    etc.

Can anyone explain the differences between the types of lenses and what benefits the more expensive ones have over the cheaper (secondhand) ones?
    Additionally, what benefit is there in getting a 503CW body over a 503CX?

Possibly upgrading from an EOS1 with L spec lenses for macro & fashion type portraits.

Thanking you all in advance for your input.
    sim.
    *confused*

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    C's, CT*'s and CF's mentioned!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/2...tml#post271115

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stick with the CFs. You do not need the electronics of the CFi. A CB is a cheap version of a CF. Only go higher than a CF if you REALLY need a floating element.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    CFi lenses do not have electronics. CFE lenses (note the "E", for electronics ) do.

CFi ("i" for "improved") are CF lenses in a better barrel/mount.
    CFE lenses are CFi lenses that have additional Databus contacts that tell the metering electronics in 200-series cameras what aperture they are and what aperture is set.

CFi/CFE lenses that have floating elements were also available in CF version.
    With the exception of the IF version of the 40 mm Distagon, which didn't exist yet in the CF-period.

A CB version is a cheap version of a CFi lens. CB lenses already have the improvements that turned CF lenses into CFi lenses.

Mind you: these improvements are in the barrel only.
    The CB 60 mm Distagon lens is the same design as the earlier and later 60 mm Distagon, and thus equally good.
    The CB 80 mm Planar lens is a different design and slightly less good than the other Zeiss/Hasselblad 80 mm lenses.
    The CB 160 mm Tessar lens was a new design. Yet - being a "B"udget lens - not on par with the nearest lenses in the CF and CFi/CFE lines.
    There also was a CB 120 mm Makro-Planar lens, that was only available very briefly, and not everywhere. Consequently, a rare lens. It probably (haven't used one yet) is the same as the CF and CFE/CFi version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    CFi lenses do not have electronics. CFE lenses (note the "E", for electronics ) do.

CFi ("i" for "improved") are CF lenses in a better barrel/mount.
    CFE lenses are CFi lenses that have additional Databus contacts that tell the metering electronics in 200-series cameras what aperture they are and what aperture is set.

CFi/CFE lenses that have floating elements were also available in CF version.
    With the exception of the IF version of the 40 mm Distagon, which didn't exist yet in the CF-period.

A CB version is a cheap version of a CFi lens. CB lenses already have the improvements that turned CF lenses into CFi lenses.

Mind you: these improvements are in the barrel only.
    The CB 60 mm Distagon lens is the same design as the earlier and later 60 mm Distagon, and thus equally good.
    The CB 80 mm Planar lens is a different design and slightly less good than the other Zeiss/Hasselblad 80 mm lenses.
    The CB 160 mm Tessar lens was a new design. Yet - being a "B"udget lens - not on par with the nearest lenses in the CF and CFi/CFE lines.
    There also was a CB 120 mm Makro-Planar lens, that was only available very briefly, and not everywhere. Consequently, a rare lens. It probably (haven't used one yet) is the same as the CF and CFE/CFi version.
    I stand corrected. I did not go back and check whether it was CFi or CFE. My bad.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin