Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,085   Online: 933

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How big from a 6x7 neg?

How big of a print do you get from a 6x7 neg?

Shooter
    35mm
    Roughly 20x24" depending on the Quality of your Neg/Slide.
    Nikon user

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" Optimus Prime

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As big a print as you decide to print. On one piece of paper at my local lab, this can be up to 48 inches wide by the length of the roll! If you want it bigger, you just have to make the print up out of smaller strips. This is how billboards are done.

I think in my personal experience that 16x20 is an *easily* obtainable "quality" print using a 100 or thereabouts film that is nicely exposed and developed. If using a high speed film, this size still looks good, just not *as* sharp from a technical standpoint. Personally, I like it, however. I like some grit, and it makes viewing the print a different experience at different distances. I assume that 6x7 could go to 20x24 easily as well, though I have never done it myself.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-01-2009 at 07:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From 1:1 to as large as the enlarging equipment you have will permit.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If image quality at close viewing distance is not important you can print as large as you like.

However, I always answer this question assuming that the print will be viewed at close distance, and that the standard is a minimum of 5 lines per mm of resolution. If you accept these quality conditions most carefully exposed 6X7 cm negatives on fine grain film can be enlarged to 18X22" or 20X24". People using Mamiya 7 camea and lenses, where 80 lines per mm of resolution is not uncommon with good shooting practice, should be able to enlarge to 36X44" and maintain the equivalent of 5 lpmm.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bireley View Post
    Last edited by sanking; 01-01-2009 at 10:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As with so many questions , (What's the best-film/lens/camera/paper for ______ ?), the answer is, "It depends, it is a subjective judgement."
    I have a 24X30" print from a 35mm negative that I find quite satisfactory. Is it as sharp or as grainless-looking as the same size print would be from 5X7 or 8X10 film? Of course not. However, for that particular image--it works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howzabout if you tell us the size print you want to make, what the subject is, and any other important information, and we talk about what format might suit your particular needs? It would be more informative than talking about "how big can you enlarge from......format.".
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-01-2009 at 07:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm getting reading to buy a RB67. I'm mostly photographing landscapes. I hoping to get at least 16x20's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm getting reading to buy a RB67. I'm mostly photographing landscapes. I hoping to get at least 16x20's.
    Great camera for that (and just about anything else)! It will get to 16x20 easily from a technically sound piece of film. Make use of its interchangeable backs to really get the most out of the system if using it in the "field" (each back marked with a different development), and start lifting weights.

IMO the only annoyance I have with the system is the distance scale and depth of field scale. Very difficult for me to use except with the longer lenses.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Camera on a tripod, lens hood, cable release, mirror up, fine grain film, correct exposure and development enlarged to no more than 4X. Excellent quality camera and enlarging lenses with an aligned enlarger and a glass carrier for negative flatness. The camera must be check for the correct position of the exchangeable viewing screens and backs for film plane agreement. If it's used equipment expect to clean it up, adjust it, and replace the seals.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin