Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,759   Online: 993

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question about Mamiya 645 Pro insert compatibility

Greetings,

I own a Mamiya 645-pro. I've got a good few rolls of 220 films in the fridge which I used in my Bronica S2a, which I recently sold.

I am now only able to use 120 film, for I only have a back with insert for 120-film.

I have an option to buy an 220 insert from a Mamiya M-645, but will it be usable in the 645-Pro backs? I seem to recall that all the inserts where interchangable troughout all the 645 models, but I'm not 100% sure.

Does anybody know for sure whether or not I can use a M-645 220 insert in a Mamiya pro back?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Woudschim; 01-03-2009 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The insert will fit, but I'm not certain it will function properly because I have never owned any 220 inserts or backs. In the cameras without a removable back (1000s, etc.) it is said to work, so it should work in the pro back but it is kind of a guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes it will function properly. All the Mamiya 645 models used the same interchangeable inserts. The backs for the 645 super and 645 pro can use either the 120 or 220 insert. It functions as a 120 back with the 120 insert, and the 220 insert changes the frame counter to work for 220! I always thought that was cool. The insert is a lot cheaper than a full back, which makes using 220 film much cheaper on Mamiya 645 than on other medium format cameras that require a full back for 220.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Chris says!

One caution though - this applies only to the manual focus Mamiya 645 cameras. The autofocus Mamiya 645 cameras use entirely different inserts and backs.

If you see an auction for a manual focus Mamiya 645 "220 back" it is just a back with a removable 220 insert, and either a 120 or a 220 insert will work fine in it.

One of the tricks I learned fairly early on was that if someone is selling a "220 back" for the Mamiya 645s that use interchangeable backs (the Super, the Pro or ProTl) you can probably buy it and a separate 120 insert for less than a back that comes with a 120 insert.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Note the interchangeability only applies to 120 and 220 inserts in 120 and 220 backs (the backs are identical). The 645 Super/Pro/ProTL also offer 35mm and Polaroid backs which are not inter-compatible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies!
    There will be a package containing a 220 insert coming this way very soon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin