Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,388   Online: 828

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Opinions on focusing screens for RB67

I have the #1 plain and the #2 grid screen for my RB. I have used the grid mostly, since I am doing a lot of buildings. However, I am planning to do some macro work in the near future, and I would like something with a bit more critical focus like a microprism or split image focusing screen. Both are available. So, any thoughts and opinions?

I know this is another "what fill-in-the-blank should I get", so I'm asking for "opinions", not a definitive answer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have only the screens you mention. I would think the most important thing, as always with macro, is to have a facility for focusing by moving either the whole camera or the subject without using the normal focusing mechanism.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I doubt that microprisms or split image would fit your needs, if you will REALLY get into the macro field. Mid format lenses are never impressively fast on their own, and you've to add to that the fact that the light will be further reduced by the bellows extension or the use of additional rings. The prisms will turn black and thus useless to help focusing.

That's why there is the "cross-hair" screen which is specific for macro work (or for super-long tele lenses, which are dark for other reasons). The central portion of this screen is transparent (not even grounded) with a hair-thin "cross" engraved. You have to focus the aerial image (that is the image will not be projected on the ground glass, as it is transparent, but will float on space) so that it appears in focus together with this hair-cross. When you see both the cross and the aerial image in focus, then the focus setting is correct.

I don't remember the number right now, but If you look in the RB user's manual, you'll see that this type of glass is available. This kind of glass, as you see, is not of immediate use and needs practice, but is the only one of any help that I know (over the pure ground glass) in low aperture/light conditions.
    Last edited by Marco Gilardetti; 01-05-2009 at 07:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Marco. Well, lo and behold, your answer went beyond opinion.

I had no idea what the cross hair (#5, btw) was for, and now I do. I'll have to give it proper consideration. Low light was another reason for wanting an alternative screen, and the #5 seems to fit that bill, too.

Ciao and Grazie!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin