Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,183   Posts: 1,658,810   Online: 649

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tripods

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I use a Majestic 2501 with large geared head for everything. This tripod has been the best investment I have ever made. It has been used and just keeps on performing while my Bogens and tiltalls have turned to crap.
    To which I would add that my experience with Bencher on servicing my Majestic tripod head was excellent. It's good to know that service is available.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a Bogen Manfrotto 3021 with 3047 head with my Canon EOS cameras (with 70-200 f2.8 and 300mm f4) as well as 4x5 cameras. My only complaint with it is that it's big and heavy (around 9lbs)

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If money matters a good Feisol carbon fibre tripod costs around half of a similar Gitzo model. I use a Feisol CT-3401 with a CB-50H ballhead on a center column, but there are other versions available in the same "class". This particular combination weighs in at just under 2 kg. (4.3 pounds.) (The tripod costs $258 and the ballhead $159 at http://www.reallybigcameras.com/, which is Kerry Thalmann's business.)
    I don't shoot any digital, but for 35mm I use a Nikon F80 which is quite similar to your D50 in size. Now, the tripod mostly gets used with my Hasselblad for which it's a very good match. Nice and lightweight.
    It's possible that e.g. a Gitzo is a slightly better tripod, with even better locks etc. but I'm quite satisfied with the quality of the Feisol. From what I've seen on this and other forums, most other Feisol users are very satisfied with their tripods too.

//Björn

Shooter
    35mm

other suggestions for tripod brands?

thanks for the replies. I would like other suggestions for brands. I didnt tell you this before, but I am OK with a heavier tripod of its sturdy. Therefore, I dont need a $600 tripod if a heavier $200 one is just as good, but just heavier.

Is Flashpoint by Adorama any good? Also, what kind of ballheads should I get with a tripod?

I want to only buy ONE tripod/ballhead (i.e. not get a cheap one and upgrade a few years later on) but I am young and perfectly OK with a heavier tripod if its just as good as a fancy light-weight and expensive carbon system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by samnc0 View Post
    thanks for the replies. I would like other suggestions for brands. I didnt tell you this before, but I am OK with a heavier tripod of its sturdy. Therefore, I dont need a $600 tripod if a heavier $200 one is just as good, but just heavier.

Is Flashpoint by Adorama any good? Also, what kind of ballheads should I get with a tripod?

I want to only buy ONE tripod/ballhead (i.e. not get a cheap one and upgrade a few years later on) but I am young and perfectly OK with a heavier tripod if its just as good as a fancy light-weight and expensive carbon system.
    Cheap legs like the Bogen 3021/Manfrotto 055 series are fine. Just make sure they're tall enough (The mistake I made with the Bogen 3001/Manfrotto 190 legs, not tall enough for my 6'3" frame). Spend the money on a good ballhead, at least a Benro Arca-Swiss clone, there's really no such thing as a good discount ballhead (the 'cheap' Arca-Swiss clones are pricier than a higher-end Bogen/Manfrotto ballhead, but you also get more performance out of the A-S clone).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since you are looking for a tripod, I found an interesting deal on another site that is just too good tro pass up.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/b...ods-heads.html

Bogen 3001 used for $40, he has hundreds of em.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the tripods sold for digital cameras are much too flimsy for MF cameras. You need something quite sturdy. I would suggest something made to hold at least a 4X5 view camera (which is actually about the same weight as most MF cameras). Although tripods often list weight capacities, there is no standard for this, and the capacities listed mean very little. It is best to talk to experienced users and to actually handle the candidate tripods before buying. Stability is the goal. You need something that won't move when a big focal plane shutter goes off, a big mirror flops, or a big wind kicks up against your big camera. You also want something that you get along with operationally. You want to be able to carry it, to set it up quickly, and to adjust it easily. You do not want it to slip and slide, come out of adjustment while you're using it, or pinch your fingers. These things are best determined hands on. Weight is also a consideration, if you will haul the thing any distance. For many years I have used a Manfrotto 3221 with a 3047 head. It's about right for MF, although I dislike the fact that have to tighten up the screws on it frequently. But now that I'm over 70, I also fret about carrying its weight for five miles or so, and I'm hunting (not real enthusiastically) for something just as sturdy but lighter. The carbon fiber tripods are a possibility.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    There does seem to be quite a bit of nonsense and posturing about tripods, particularly as it relates to the heft of the tripod you need for MF and LF gear. What I've learnt is that the key thing is to get a tripod that's well constructed and a head that can take the required load without any flex or slippage. There are light tripods that meet these criteria and heavy ones that don't (I've had both!)

I've ended up with a Gitzo 1128 with Arca Swiss B1 ballhead that works with everything from 35mm (Leica M6 and Nikon FM2n) through MF (Mamiya 7II) to LF (Toyo 45A). The tripod is very light but incredibly stiff and compacts down pretty small. If I'm travelling really light then I'll use my Gitzo 1550T Traveller which weighs next to nothing and compacts down to a tiny size. The little 1077 ballhead actually supports my 35mm and MF gear with no real problems and means I can use a tripod when trekking in the Alps when weight is a major issue with several days' food, water, clothing, tent, etc.

What I have learnt is that you don't need a heavy tripod but there is absolutely no point to stinting on the quality of the tripod and head you buy and Gitzo have proved the most effective for me. Be aware that the length and weight of the lens you use can have a greater de-stabilising effect than the weight of the camera and choose a head that can cope with this de-stabilising effect if you're intent on using longer, heavier lenses.

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin