Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,036   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Bronica ETRSI - brighter focusing screen

Hello -

It's my 1st post here, but probably some of you are familiar with me from RangeFinderForum.com
    I recently became happy owner of very basic ETRSI outfit. Great camera, I immediately felt at home with its ergonomics. The only thing I would like to improve is viewing image brightness - I am spoiled by OM viewfinder with 2-13 screen installed. This leads to a quest for brighter focusing screen for ETRSI (I have Bronica plain matte screen in camera). Are there brighter focusing screens - either OEM or aftermarket - available for Bronica ETRSI?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Igor and welcome to Apug

this one is a little to rich for my blood but...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Screen_.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Victor, thanks.
    Pretty hefty price tag on that Beattie, actually more $$ than I payed for my Bronica outfit. Did anybody use it in Bronicas, how it's compared to stock screen? Are there more economical options out there?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by igor.burshteyn View Post
    Victor, thanks.
    Pretty hefty price tag on that Beattie, actually more $$ than I payed for my Bronica outfit. Did anybody use it in Bronicas, how it's compared to stock screen? Are there more economical options out there?
    I used to have a Bronica SQ-B with a Beattie screen. I was just lucky to buy the camera with the Beattie pre-installed. It made a considerable difference compared to the factory screen. The focus looked crisper and therefore easier to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hello:

I recently purchased a Beattie screen for my 40 yr. old Rolleiflex. It was expensive at $200, but the look through the viewfinder is amazing - certainly worth the money for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which finder are you using? The prism costs some light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nick, I use plain non-metered prism-finder. WLF would be a little brighter I guess.
    I've seen references to another bright screen maker - Bill Maxwell. I didn't succeed to find his web site for pricing/information. Is there any Maxwell screen user here who can comment on its merits?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you use a metered finder, any aftermarket screen which is brighter will throw off the metering. You could compensate simply by dialing in a lower ISO than was actually loaded. That approach brings great risk if you shoot in a high intensity shooting situation with films of multiple ISOs, but is not insurmountable for a casual hobbyist rather than a working wedding pro, for example.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Igor: I had Bill Maxwell process one of my screens with his "Hi Lux" process a couple of years ago. It really improved the focusing on my 45-90 lens and even made possible focusing the 125-250 indoors. The cost was about $100 & for me it was a better option than replacing the screen. He said at the time he had a couple of ETRsi screens available for purchase. I don't have his phone# but do a search on photo.net.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maxwell contact information:

http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin