Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,989   Online: 1015

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some cameras, you use the same back, and just change inserts. The Mamiya 645 manual focus cameras work that way.

I have found that if someone is selling a 220 "back" for a Mamiya 645 (i.e. a back with a 220 insert), it often is for less than the cost of a back with a 120 insert - sometimes the difference is more than enough to pick up a 120 insert alone.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last I looked on B&H, the 320 TriX was a hair cheaper per frame in 220, but a number of color emulsions were more. I did recently pick up a 220 insert inexpensively should I ever get the urge, but I mostly shoot B&W and nothing I currently like comes in 220.

Which system would I buy? A Bronica SQ-A -- that is to say, I already did. At the time I started it seemed like the best trade-off of features vs price (vs weight!). I did have a problem with the first body, but replaced it with one that appeared to be in better shape for $80.

These decisions are potentially not simple, as different folks have different preferences and even ergonomics might fall into play. If you can't get to try before you buy, it might be best to minimize the investment and play with an inexpensive package for a while. Compared with 25 years ago, it's a cheap experiment. Even an inexpensive folder might be suitable for some things.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Pro 160, 5 rolls: $18.95 in 120, $37.50 in 220 at B&H. Twice the price of 120 would be $37.90. That's at B&H Photo Video in New York, from which I mail order occasionally (and visited in person last month).

Perhaps small local stores are charging more for 220 due to low demand, but Adorama and B&H and other mail order places seem to have prices that are essentially the same per frame.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A used Hasselblad.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Fuji Pro 160, 5 rolls: $18.95 in 120, $37.50 in 220 at B&H. Twice the price of 120 would be $37.90. That's at B&H Photo Video in New York, from which I mail order occasionally (and visited in person last month).

Yes, but also at B&H:
    Fuji 160S, 5 rolls: $17.50 in 120, $37.50 in 220. That's 7% more.
    Kodak 160 NC, 5 rolls: $20.75 in 120, $44.45 in 220. That's again 7% more.
    Etcetera.

So no, it's not just at "small local stores". Whether you go there in person or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. There have been some adjustments in some of the prices. The last time I ordered 220 (and I ordered three different film types) the prices were exactly double.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the OP's stated requirements I would think the Bronica is his best bet. Don't be sucked into the Hasselblad world as that way penury lies! OK you may get an old 500C for 400 bucks but it will be at least 40 years old and probably battered to hell. Plus there is the issue of getting old lenses repaired if anything goes wrong with the shutter: there are few if any spares left.

Then there is the cost of extending the outfit...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    Given the OP's stated requirements I would think the Bronica is his best bet. Don't be sucked into the Hasselblad world as that way penury lies! OK you may get an old 500C for 400 bucks but it will be at least 40 years old and probably battered to hell. Plus there is the issue of getting old lenses repaired if anything goes wrong with the shutter: there are few if any spares left.

Then there is the cost of extending the outfit...
    i agree with this...
    yes, the starting price of a 500c / 500cm is affordable
    but you will not be happy with just the 80mm lens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bronica SQ-A is a STEAL these days, and they're great cameras. Wonderful lenses. You can get a lot of camera for $500.
    Hasselblad - it's probably a better camera system, you really do get what you pay for, though. So if you find a bargain Hassy - prepare to spend some dough on a CLA afterward.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since I am not in the market for a system, perhaps my question is personally moot. However, if I were going to give up my Hasselbladski (Kiev 88) and my Pentax 6x7 for a later evolution of the Hasselblad--later than a 500C or its direct derivatives--what used body and system should I consider? Specifically, a mechanical 'Blad, but definitely later than the old original 500?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin