Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,840   Online: 789

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Boy, no doubt what you guys like overall! lol

Thanks Jorge for that execellent comparison. I appreciate the response and well thought out comparison. And, as such, I've decided to
    hold out till I can get at least a 500cm and lens (and very good to know Michael to not get the silver lenses, I was wondering about those. As well as to limiting to the CF series. I didn't know exactly where to cut off my choices in lenses). It may take awhile, still paying off all the new 4x5 stuff I got earlier this yr. lol

But in the mean time, Aggie offered me the use of her Mamiya that would be fun to shoot a few rolls. Very kind of her.

Thanks again to everyone's response!

Chris

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a full set of silver hassy lenses and they are very sharp and contrasty. I have also not had any problem getting them overhauled and in the one instance that a lens needed repair (last spring) there was no problem getting the part required. There are T* silver lenses as well.

As with any lens, old or new a lenshade should always be used.

When I was out shooting with Les in the snow covered flat lands I shot several pics straight into the sun with my 50mm WA and had practically no flare and still great contrast.

People who say stay away from the silver lenses probably don't use them themselves and are just going on rumour or bias IMHO. I have not had any prints put side by side with mine from any non Hassy MF system that comes close to the razor sharpness and great contrast and tonal range of my old silver lenses. Zeiss glass is Zeiss glass, period.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Chris:

Hasselblad is a good choice. I get my lenses rebuilt every few years at Associated Camera Repair in Portland OR. 1-877-278-8244. If you want any questions answered about availability for parts etc or which bodies and lenses to shy away from, ask him.

Eric;

The reason I mentioned the silver lenses is that there have been bulletins sent around that Hasselblad is running out of parts for these lenses. I certainly didn't mean to offend your old aging silver lenses. I don't want to be accused of silver discrimination. I also didn't say it wasn't a good lens, as I've had a set of 3. I was just saying that if buying it used , number one, is is quite old, and number two, they are supposedly running out of parts.

Boy you Canadians are so militant. By the way, the only reason the Flames are now doing well is with the old retreads the Sharks sent you. So say thank you.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Takes one to know one Michael!! With all the old hassy stuff running around I'm sure there will be a good supply of parts for a long time to come.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have recently bought a Rollei SL66, and it is outstanding. It also has the CZ glass, so no advantage there either way. It is VERY solidly built, again no head start ... but then come the movements/ belows. Although only very small (max 8 deg tilt up or down) it is still a distinct advantage over not having any - the Hassy Flexbody and discontinued Arcbody are phenomenally expensive to get the same effect.

The extendable belows allow for close focusing with any lens (no special macro needed), but, it gets better, the lens mounts and front bayonets enable you to also retro mount any lens too for extreme close ups, making a HUGE saving if close up work is your thing.

Also, no batteries, an internal shutter, and the other standards like mirror lock and multi exposures.

(sorry - I just read Jeanne's comments on the SL66 - didnt mean to repeat!)
    the only prob I've had is the focusing screens are a touch dim - a small outlay on a Beattie Intenscreen has solved that.

If the above advantages are for you, then go with the SL66.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hasselblad. Once you go blad, you don't go back.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin