Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 796

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I bought one, one of the good "gone through" ones. It broke under less than heavy use. It might look like something, but it isn't. There are about 100 other cameras I'd buy first, some for less money.
    I recall reading that Kiev's are not so robust. The problem is that the MF second hand market is almost none existing here. There is no such thing as LF here in Turkey.
    I would really like to hear your suggestion on other brands, I would look out for them too.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on who you talk to; my Kiev 88 has been reliable so far with moderate care.

If you educate yourself prior to using them, i.e., visit the Kievaholic website and so on, you'll know the "do" and "don't" actions for using the camera.

If you don't have the time to do this, or plan on beating the hell out of the camera, then I'd say go for something more robust and expensive.

However, at the current prices, you could have 5 backup bodies on standby for the cost of one hassy body.

To each his own.

(Kiev 88, Mir 45mm f3.5, Kodak Portra 400, Neg Scan -- The National Archives Gatineau Preservation Centre - Gatineau, Quebec, Canada)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gat_cntr.jpg  
    Last edited by Kino; 01-27-2009 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added photo

Shooter
    35mm
    i considered to buy a kiev 88 also
    but the one i would only look into is the ARAX 88CM MLU
    i heard it is reliable enough, use P6 lenses and MLU
    but the kit price is >500USD

and i found that i can get a mamiya rb67, bronica sqa, s2a or a gs-1 with half of that price...
    so you may want to think about it again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I owned a Hartblei (Modified Kiev) for a number of years. Generally reliable. I used Zeiss and Schneider lenses with it with good results. Trouble was I never fully trusted it. I finally took the plunge and replaced it with a Bronica SQ. I got

Bronica SQB
    50,65,105,150,250mm lenses, 4 backs, polaroid back, plain prism, chimney finder for 1500 euro.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Serdar, Your choice may be end up this way: a Kiev 88 or no MF at all because of the special conditions of the market where you are. Regarding the film wind feeling always like it is going to break: I added a rapid wind crank purchased from ARAX and it feels no differently to me than winding the Yashicamat.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 88cm is the one to get, if you have a choice. Many things have been improved on this last/current model. Improved film magazines, P-6 lens mount, improved shutter release button placement, etc. The P-6 lens mount allows a vast choice of lenses, from Zeiss/Jena, Schneider, Arsenal. I have the 88cm and it is a fine camera. In fact I have 2, in addition to a Kiev 60. The Kiev 88cm film magazine is (in my opinion) better designed than the Hasselblad film magazine (which it resembles). I didn't say better built, just better designed. I have a few Kiev "new" model film magazines that have been modified for my Hasselblads and they work great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Serdar, Your choice may be end up this way: a Kiev 88 or no MF at all because of the special conditions of the market where you are. Regarding the film wind feeling always like it is going to break: I added a rapid wind crank purchased from ARAX and it feels no differently to me than winding the Yashicamat.
    It seems so. Well, at least there are 2 bodies. I can try them both and pick the one feels ok. It is going to be a starter kit after all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    It seems so. Well, at least there are 2 bodies. I can try them both and pick the one feels ok. It is going to be a starter kit after all.
    I bought mine to see if I liked the "feel" of a Hasselblad-shaped camera before making the plunge for an expensive Hasselblad. I like the feel. And I still have not bought the Hasselblad.

And the Kiev 88 can always be traded in with ARAX, or rebuilt to CM standards by him. So even though this is a starter kit for you, you will continue to have options.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I bought mine to see if I liked the "feel" of a Hasselblad-shaped camera before making the plunge for an expensive Hasselblad. I like the feel. And I still have not bought the Hasselblad.

And the Kiev 88 can always be traded in with ARAX, or rebuilt to CM standards by him. So even though this is a starter kit for you, you will continue to have options.
    Ukraine is closer to my country than I thought. Shipping costs are so cheap. ARAX option is good, I checked their web pages for upgrades and repairs. I am going to try the camera tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you buy from Arax you will find that they adjust the film magazines to the specific bodies. This ensures the best fit. If you subsquently want to buy more magazines you will have to return the body to Arax to have them adjusted in the same way. This is not widely publicised on their web site. When I was considering replacing some defective Kiev backs I asked them about this and they confirmed that I would have to send the body. I would buy as many backs as you can afford. Also I would buy the old type backs in preference to the NT backs. IMO the old style backs are simpler and less prone to breakage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin