Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,603   Online: 1244

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also I would buy the old type backs in preference to the NT backs. IMO the old style backs are simpler and less prone to breakage.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Adam, for that information. I would have ASS u ME d the opposite. I am glad I know.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John

My observation about the old style backs came about because I had two NT backs break. One had the door latch fail and the other failed to lock at the start of the film. Both in quite a short time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
    John

My observation about the old style backs came about because I had two NT backs break. One had the door latch fail and the other failed to lock at the start of the film. Both in quite a short time.
    A case of "the don't make 'em like they used to."

Luckily, OS backs are aplenty on the auction site.

BTW, the only back which gives me trouble (aside from mine-own-achin-from- arthritis) is an OS 645 back. The framing is not quite as I would like. I find, however, that making sure the film is tight when I first load it, the problem is minimized.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First, thanks everyone for your help. Your experiences really helped a lot for me. In short, I decided not to buy Kiev 88.
    I went to check the cameras today but the guy did not show up for 2 hours then I give up waiting. But I looked at the models and the lenses, they were standing in the show. I had the chance to check a few more dealers and ask a camera repairman. His thought was also important because if something happened to the camera he would be the one to see it first and he is the best in mechanical cameras here. He said he is not going to touch Kiev88 if it had problems. He said he uses arsat lenses with adapters on other MF bodies he owns a Kiev60 but no 88. I've checked the results of jupiter-36 on the net, they are good but the lens is too big for me and the min. focusing distance is limiting for portrait. 65mm mir-38 is simply a poor lens and that lefts me with only 80mm and a questionable Kiev88 body (It is not CM btw). From this perspective it did not look as good bargain to me anymore.
    Luckily, in another shop I found a brand new Kiev60, and a Pentacon 6. I didn't ask the Pentacon 6's price viewfinder was too dark for me and its parts are and hard to find here. Kiev 60 was in perfect condition but 5 times the price of a second hand. It is same as buying an Arax 60 from Ukraine. I checked Mamiya RB67, I don't like them very much I don't know why(lovely shutter sound btw). I found a recent online ad for pentax 6x7 with 45,105 and 135 lenses in good condition. Having tried Kiev60 and Pentacon6, I think the feel of Pentax 6x7 is very similar to them. It is slightly more expensive but I think in terms of body and optics more reliable. Unless I find a Kiev60 system for really cheap, I think I will go with Pentax 6x7 system.
    I would still like to hear your suggestions of course. And thanks again for your help. Sorry for long post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you are making a very good decision concerning the Kiev.

Good luck on your search.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is 6X4.5 too small a negative? If not then there is a vary good choice, Bronica ETR, Mamiya 645, Pentax and Contax 645s. I have a Mamiya 645 system that I am selling (although not until I have had the bodies serviced). I can say with confidence that the Mamiya is a quality bit of kit.

Adrian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had a Pentax 6x7 (with mirror lock up) for many years and used it mainly for copy work with a macro lens. It gave me excellent service. I do not use it any more because it is heavy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
    Is 6X4.5 too small a negative? If not then there is a vary good choice, Bronica ETR, Mamiya 645, Pentax and Contax 645s. I have a Mamiya 645 system that I am selling (although not until I have had the bodies serviced). I can say with confidence that the Mamiya is a quality bit of kit.

Adrian
    Well, being a newbie about MF. I am sure it is not small for me but the cameras are hard to find and overpriced. Bronica's are rare because there is not much competition and they are way too overpriced especially considering the US market.
    I have no doubt about the Mamiya systems quality, I just can't find a good offer. RB67 is very common here but a simple RB67 kit 90 lens a mag and body is around 400 to 500 us dollars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I have had a Pentax 6x7 (with mirror lock up) for many years and used it mainly for copy work with a macro lens. It gave me excellent service. I do not use it any more because it is heavy.
    I am used to heavy cameras F5, F90x with batt. grip macro and tele-lenses, it is slightly heavier than my 35mm system. I think I can live with it but I wish it was lighter. My guess is after checking photos in flickr and reviews online, Pentax 6x7 body TTL 45, 105 and 135 macro lens is a good set not just for beginner but also for serious amateurs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Serdar

I have not used my 645 system for a long time. I was finding that I was using 6x6 for most of my MF work. If I saw the picture as a square then I composed using the whole negative and printed it square. If I saw a rectangle then I composed accordingly and cropped. I feel that with 645 you need to use the whole negative to get the full MF advantage. But then again, some people may think I am being fussy.

Adrian.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin