Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,400   Online: 1085

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you are making a good decision to go with Pentax 6x7 over Kiev. I use P67 system and it is very reliable with excellent lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    many people would go for a Kiev 88 or 88cm, because they are cheap. I did. and I won't do it again ! ignored all the horror stories of broken shutters and such, so I thought it would be safe to buy one from evilbay that ought to be NEW and overhauled by Hartblei. OK, it worked, but quite a lot of issues: misaligned viewfinder lens, heavy transport, misaligned diaphragm, film not running straight and light leaks.

the images that were made with it were fine, because of the Zeiss lenses I used. and then... after a few months the shutter jammed badly and now it only rattles a little. no warranty and the only option is repair at ARAX. including postage this will cost me around 160 euros.

total costs: around 500 euros. for around 500 euros you could buy more reliable quality stuff second hand, such as a hasselblad 500c !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elektrovolt View Post
    many people would go for a Kiev 88 or 88cm, because they are cheap. I did. and I won't do it again ! ignored all the horror stories of broken shutters and such, so I thought it would be safe to buy one from evilbay that ought to be NEW and overhauled by Hartblei. OK, it worked, but quite a lot of issues: misaligned viewfinder lens, heavy transport, misaligned diaphragm, film not running straight and light leaks.

the images that were made with it were fine, because of the Zeiss lenses I used. and then... after a few months the shutter jammed badly and now it only rattles a little. no warranty and the only option is repair at ARAX. including postage this will cost me around 160 euros.

total costs: around 500 euros. for around 500 euros you could buy more reliable quality stuff second hand, such as a hasselblad 500c !

To each his own, but to only throw the camera a bone because you were using Zeiss lenses is a bit ungenerous; the Russian Lenses are quite good performers on the whole.

Most people destroy Kievs because they *THINK* they know how to run them, assuming prior MF knowledge and experience is all that is required, but soon find out it is not when the camera jams, starts mis-spacing frames or has light leaks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin