Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,869   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

MF newbie - Kiev 88 purchase suggestions

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a Kiev 88 kit. I found a good bargain, but I don't know much about the lenses or the system. Unfortunately the budget is a problem that is why I am buying a kiev, the set with the lenses is a good bargain.

Kiev 88, 80/F2.8 lens, 65/F3.5 lens, 250/F3.5 lens(optional, I have not decided yet), 2 magazines. I think all the lenses are Arsat or what is the default kiev naming for the lenses. Do you have any experiences what are the adv. and disadv.?

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Serdar,
    I cannot comment on the 65 3.5; I do not have one. I have found the 80 2.8 Arsat to be more than totally acceptable; my 250. 3.5 is an outstanding lens. I had trouble after a time with my 80 2.8 and it required a cleaning of the lubricant to restore proper diaphram operation. Other than that, my outfit has been trouble free.
    I will say that I do not use it heavily; but that when I do use it, it works fine, every time. Hope this helps.
    BTW, why the sad-at-heart screen name? You must have lived in Germany?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are they P6 mount or the 88 mount? P6 would let you use the same lenses on Kiev 60 bodies or with an adaptor on various other MF bodies.

The lenses are fine. That's the faster 250mm IIRC. I've got the slower one. From memory the fast one is huge. :o

How good of a deal? Plenty of options these days.

The main issue is the quality of the bodies. The lenses are fine. In the "old" days they represented good value. Today everything is so much lower priced I'm not sure they are a good idea unless the deal is really good.

Do you get a change to run a couple of rolls of film? Watch the top shutter speed. The film spacing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Serdar,
    I cannot comment on the 65 3.5; I do not have one. I have found the 80 2.8 Arsat to be more than totally acceptable; my 250. 3.5 is an outstanding lens. I had trouble after a time with my 80 2.8 and it required a cleaning of the lubricant to restore proper diaphram operation. Other than that, my outfit has been trouble free.
    I will say that I do not use it heavily; but that when I do use it, it works fine, every time. Hope this helps.
    BTW, why the sad-at-heart screen name? You must have lived in Germany?
    Thanks John.
    I was curious about 250 lens, I agree that the 80 results are good, I found some sample pictures on the internet. Very decent results.
    I assume that 250 lens is good for portrait work. It is why I plan to buy it too.

No, I haven't lived in Germany,I know a little German but not good enough. I pick the name from a song, from a German band Rammstein .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Are they P6 mount or the 88 mount? P6 would let you use the same lenses on Kiev 60 bodies or with an adaptor on various other MF bodies.

The lenses are fine. That's the faster 250mm IIRC. I've got the slower one. From memory the fast one is huge. :o

How good of a deal? Plenty of options these days.

The main issue is the quality of the bodies. The lenses are fine. In the "old" days they represented good value. Today everything is so much lower priced I'm not sure they are a good idea unless the deal is really good.

Do you get a change to run a couple of rolls of film? Watch the top shutter speed. The film spacing.
    I don't know the mount, I will look into it. I haven't seen the 250 lens, I asked for a tele lens and he said an 250 F3.5 is available.

Deal is around 250 us dollars. Body, 3 lens, 2 magazines. It is cheaper if I don't buy the 250.

The bodies seemed fine to me in terms of aging and similar things, but you are right I should check the shutters. I think I can shoot a few rolls.

Thanks for the heads up

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought one, one of the good "gone through" ones. It broke under less than heavy use. It might look like something, but it isn't. There are about 100 other cameras I'd buy first, some for less money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Kiev lenses are generally pretty good. I found them to be of about the same quality as a number of other MF SLR systems.

The body would be a bit suspect. If you can find one the 88CM is a much better camera than the 88, plus it has a Pentacon 6 mount which allows you to use a lot of nice Carl Zeiss Jena optics.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    Thanks John.
    I was curious about 250 lens, I agree that the 80 results are good, I found some sample pictures on the internet. Very decent results.
    I assume that 250 lens is good for portrait work. It is why I plan to buy it too.
    Many people would find the 250 a bit long for portrait work. But it is a really fine lens, in my experience. Perhaps too "good" for flattering portraits. It is a great outdoor lens, however.

No, I haven't lived in Germany,I know a little German but not good enough. I pick the name from a song, from a German band Rammstein .
    Aha!

If you check the website for RuGift, you will see what the outfit and lenses sell for. Both new and used lenses are offered. Ditto for Arax. Regarding the lens mount, I would ASSuME, it being a Kiev 88, it has the older mount--that is what I have. The newer Kievs, with the mirror lock up, are in the P6 mount. You can use the older lenses on the P6 with an adapter, as Sanking says; but not the other way around. If everything works perfectly, I FEEL the price is about right. I may be wrong.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wanted a Keiv 88 last year and really had a hard time finding anyone to say anything positive about it. I hear that the winding crank always feels like it just about to break. Maybe an old Hassy or Bronica ETR would be a better choice?
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Serdar -

With the cheap prices for good quality MF gear these days, you might want to consider something more robust than a Kiev.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin