Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,657   Posts: 1,623,767   Online: 1140

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

New vs Old pentax 67 lenses

I am in the market for a 75mm f4.5 Pentax 67 lens and there are the two versions. The old one that is heavy, all metal and built like a tank. And there is the new version that is much lighter and made from some carbon material I suppose. Just handling the two types I would think the older one was better and would last forever, but is that true? The older style is much heavier. Does anyone have experience with both and is the newer lens superior in any way other than weight?

thanks
    Dennis
    PS anyone have a 75 they want to sell?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    75mm 4.5 are very common on the bay last I checked. According to the P67 lens site that now seems to be shutdown (I have a copy saved if anyone wants it) the optics were never changed though. So don't bother buying the new model unless you want the decreased weight.
    Ps I might consider selling mine- I don't use it since I got the 90 2.8, follow up if you want by IM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 75mm f4.5 P67 lens is one of the sharpest lens among all P67 lenses. I have one. It's not that heavy. All pentax 67 lenses are fairly large and heavy. This lens is indeed incredibly sharp. The only complaint I have is it is f4.5. It would have been better if it is brighter. The latest 75mm lens I believe is f3.5 or f2.8. It is said to be even better than the old one. But it is very pricey as there are not many of it out there.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes I don't really understand why the 75 is such a slow 4.5 lens when the 105 is about the same size and is a 2.4. I don't shoot wide open but viewing is dark at 4.5. The newer expensive 75 you refer to is a shiftable lens I think.
    Dennis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There has been a 75mm lens in the lineup since the camera was introduced in the late 60s. The oldest is the "Super Takumar/6x7" followed by the "Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/6x7" (also referred to as SMC Takumar/6x7 in brochures) then "SMC Pentax-6x7" and finally "SMC Pentax 67". All of these were 75mm/f4.5 lenses.

The SMC Pentax/6x7 Shift 75/4.5 was introduced sometime in the 80s and alongside the new 500/5.6 was the first lens to get the new "SMC Pentax/6x7" designation. It later got the "SMC Pentax 67" name.

Finally the SMC Pentax 67 75 2.8 was introduced around 2000 in the last gasp of the system.

I have read differing opinions on the early lenses, so it might be best to look for a later SMC Pentax-6x7 or SMC Pentax 67 version.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had no idea. I guess I have never seen the 2.8. I guess there is probably not much difference between the first three incarnations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I had no idea. I guess I have never seen the 2.8. I guess there is probably not much difference between the first three incarnations.
    I've had a number of the ƒ4.5's go through my hands. One was very, very sharp and the others were not. My experience was that there were considerable variations from one to another. I've only heard good about the ƒ2.8 but haven't owned or used one.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dennis, if you can, hold out for the 2.8 version. It's an aspherical lens that is amazingly sharp and small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please see my Pentax 67 Lens Page

http://antiquecameras.net/pentax6x7lenses.html

The 75/2.8 ASPH is sharp and fast - but it does suffer from barrel distortion that the 75/4.5 doesnt. If you are shooting architecture, skip the 2.8. The 4.5 is well known for being more than adequate and many report it to be their sharpest lens...

See some more comments here: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00BTvc

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin