Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,018   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far, what she has shot is mostly houses and buildings while on vacation (New Orleans, Williamsburg, etc.) and scenic stuff on our walks through the woods and fields up here in Silicon Valley. She has not used my rb nor an of my LF equipment, A bit of a klutz (*L*). She has mastered the Zorki so understands somewhat about exposure control. I want to get her interested in this while the interest is still there.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It's nice to know that no one has mentioned any dogs yet.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't really like the 80, but it is purely from the angle of view aspects, for me the 110 is a little better, I really like the 210f4. Kind of wish I had a 45 and maybe the 24. I do have one of the old Russian 30mm lenses and it is OK, but I would probably skip it next time in favor of the Mamiya 35 or 24.

I would like to get the 200 APO and maybe the 150 APO but I can't really afford them right now. I have the 150f4 but have not used it for anything so no real comments. Same applies to the 55. I do also have the 500f5.6 which is pretty nice for a giant of a lens.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I really like the 55/f2.8 N and the 150/f3.5N lenses for landscape. The 120 macro and 300 Apo are great too, but kind of expensive.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    So far, what she has shot is mostly houses and buildings while on vacation (New Orleans, Williamsburg, etc.) and scenic stuff on our walks through the woods and fields up here in Silicon Valley. She has not used my rb nor an of my LF equipment, A bit of a klutz (*L*). She has mastered the Zorki so understands somewhat about exposure control. I want to get her interested in this while the interest is still there.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It's nice to know that no one has mentioned any dogs yet.

tim in san jose
    In that case, I think an 80mm and/or a 55mm is a good way to start. Both lenses are good, and cheap. If you get a good enough deal, one of the slower model 150s (4.0 or 3.5) might be due in short order, if she likes using the camera. Medium teles are often helpful for shooting what you mentioned, as I am sure you know.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not to confuse you more, but I love the 150 f2.8 for portraits and some landscapes. I have but don't use the 35mm much and wouldn't recommend it. The 50mm shift is cool too but messes up the metering some so you need to learn the lens.
    -Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    In that case, I think an 80mm and/or a 55mm is a good way to start. Both lenses are good, and cheap. If you get a good enough deal, one of the slower model 150s (4.0 or 3.5) might be due in short order, if she likes using the camera. Medium teles are often helpful for shooting what you mentioned, as I am sure you know.
    I think.. you think like I think.

Thanks all. If, of course, any of you want to get rid of your extra lens for reasonable prices, let me know.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I currently have a 55mm/C 80mm/N and 150mm/C.

Coming from a Zeiss background where everything is tack sharp, I'm disappointed especially the 55mm. The "N" series has slightly better contrast than their "C" series, so I would definitely recommend those. For lenses, just get the best you can afford.

Since it's eaten up 5 inserts, (and waiting for another), it's a useless blob in the case on the floor. While the Rolleiflex TLRs just keep going & going.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Tim.

Have you seen this APUG ad for an 80mm?

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...1&cat=2&page=2
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Hi, Tim.

Have you seen this APUG ad for an 80mm?

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...1&cat=2&page=2
    Thanks One.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have the 645 1000s with 45mm, 80mm w/extension tubes for macro, and 150mm. I use all three lenses frequently. Note that the 45 is equivalent to a 28 on a 35mm camera - my most used lens - I found that a 35 on a 35mm camera was often not wide enough, therefore, I have no interest in the 55 for the 645 (just my opinion). Great little camera. I say little because my RB is my camera of choice for more serious work.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin