Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,207   Online: 960

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love the Super Ikonta IV.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Definitely concur with the Zeiss Mess Ikonta 524/16 and Super Ikonta III. I've had the Mess Ikonta for a while and just recently got the Super Ikonta III. Excellent cameras.
    _________
    Dan Larsen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was the first Super Ikonta 6x6 called a Super Ikonta B? I've seen the Super Ikonta A and the Super Ikonta C and the Super Ikonta D, but for some reason I don't believe that I've seen a Super Ikonta B!
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One caveat with the Ikontas --
    frame spacing is extremely
    tight and some will have
    overlapping frames. If you
    prefer to print full-frame,
    you can run into problems.

Images
    The early Super Ikonta 6x6 (e.g. 532/16) shoots only 11 frames per roll. Mine spaces the frames nicely regardless of what film I use. My Iskra gives overlapping frames for Kodak films but spaces Foma and Shanghai GP3 properly. I was fortunate enough to find an Iskra where the automatic film counter still worked.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Was the first Super Ikonta 6x6 called a Super Ikonta B? I've seen the Super Ikonta A and the Super Ikonta C and the Super Ikonta D, but for some reason I don't believe that I've seen a Super Ikonta B!
    Several photos of the B here.
    http://camera35.com/Selling/Zeiss%20_6x6/index.htm
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The first Super Ikonta B was the 530/16. It had separate viewfinder windows for focusing and composing. It was replaced by the 532/16, which had a single unified viewfinder. Later, this camera also had a coated Zeiss-Opton f/2.8 80mm Tessar. These came only with a Tessar.

Both cameras gave 11 shots, and I can't recall ever having overlapping frames with either camera.

The "B" referred to the format, in this case 6x6. The A model was 6x4.5, and the C model was 6x9. The D was 6x11.5, I think, and it used 116 film.

The next Super Ikonta B was the 533/16 (actually referred to as the Super Ikonta BX), which incorporated a selenium meter and a mechanism that provided 12 shots. It's a massive camera and has the coated Tessar.

The successor models, the Super Ikonta III and IV, were based on a new body shell and also have auto-framing mechanisms that give 12 shots. These also have a coated Tessar, although Zeiss Ikon also offered a coated Novar as well.

The plain Ikonta models require you to line up the frame number in the red window and shouldn't have frame spacing issues, unless you wind too far. The Mess Ikonta (524/16) uses this method. It also had either a coated Novar or a coated Tessar.

So, the Ikonta should never have frame spacing issues. The Super Ikonta is another matter.

Shooter
    35mm

Couple Rangefinder MF from the UK

The Ensign Commando is mentioned in another reply but there are 2 other rare UK CRF Folders:

Kershaw Peregrine III from 1948. Only 100 ever made but it has a CRF, 12 on 120 with manual wind using the red window to the first frame and then auto spacing from then on. It has a Taylor Hobson Adotal 5 element f2.8 lens of superb quality and overall quality is similar to a Super Ikonta

Ensign Autorange 820 (1956), CRF Ross Xpres 105/3.8 lens. This is 8 on 120 6x9 but has built in flaps to reduce to 12 on 120. Superb quality but rare.

There was also as a 6x4.5 version the Autorange 16/20

From Japan I also have a CRF Sisley folder but this is not the same quality as the above cameras and there are other Japanese CRFs on Camerapedia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second what Sanders mentinoed about the Balda's. I have a Super Baldax coupled rangefinder with 80mm Baldanar lens. It's only f3.5 and is of tessar type design. the one to get is the f2.8 Schneider Radionar lens, or the f2.8 Ennit lens. They match if not overtake the legendary Solinar! That said, my Baldanar lens is no slouch when stopped down to F11 or 16.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Andrew, I believe you will find the Baldanar is a basic triplet lens (not a tessar type). this was Balda's cheapest offering of lens and was fitted to Balda entry level cameras, the next step up in the line was a Baltar, and the Radionar was a more exspensive lens again on Balda camera (still a triplet though). the S/Baldax also came with the Ennit which is a 4 element lens but is a different layout to a tessar, on the Ennit the cemented pair are in the center, i have not seen any results that are better from an Ennit, than a Tessar, Xenar or Solinar with unit focusing (as opposed to front cell focusing lens).

another 6x6 crf not mentioned is the Welta Weltur
    Last edited by Anastigmatic; 03-03-2009 at 09:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin