Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 731

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the informative replies. I finally bit on a very nice condition Super Ikonta B (532/16) with a Zeiss Opton 2.8/80. The price was excellent, I think mainly because the film counter was hosed up--it was totally out of sync with the auto frame stop mechanism. Somebody had taken the dial cover off and didn't properly correlate frame #1 on the counter dial with auto frame stop #1 when it was replaced. It was a simple fix even for me, and the camera seems to work like a fine watch now. Bellows is perfect, all of the Compur Rapid shutter speeds appear to be correct, and the rangefinder is dead on checked against a tape measure. I shot a roll of 400VC this evening with it (it's what I had on hand, I definitely need to get some slower film for it--my meter was calling for 1/500 and up on several shots before the sun went down a little!). I shot everything at f8 to f16. When I get some B&W ISO-100 I'll try some comparison shots at different apertures.

This is my first Zeiss folder, and I am highly impressed with the engineering and the build quality. I was also somewhat amazed at the weight--this thing feels like it was machined out of a solid block of steel, and it feels noticeably bigger and heavier in the hands than my Ansco Special R's. I just hope the 2.8 Opton lens lives up to its reputation and gives me good sharp images.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, this can be an exciting place to hang around. After following this thread I just ordered a used Russian Moskva 5 folder that takes 6x9 images on 120 film with a 4 element lens and coupled rangefinder. I've never been too fond of the square format and this camera was cheap, $25US plus shipping! I actually started in photography with my mother's Ziess Nettar folder. While I don't think I can go back that far (returning to focus by guessing the distance seems WRONG), I expect the Moskva 5 to feel rather nostologic! I like the idea of a one lens non-system inexpensive carry around camera :-)

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had the Moskva 5 for a few days now (shipping from the Ukraine takes a while). What a FUN little camera. The test negs are sharp and the shutter is very reliable. I will enjoy using this. It won't replace my Pentax67, but will go with me places I don't want to carry that big system. This is all a camera needs to be: a light-tight box with a lens, aperture, shutter and film advance :-)

Tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin