Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,705   Online: 1153

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

127 folders: is this Piccolette factory finished?

This is a weird Zeiss / Contessa Piccolette finished in snakeskin. Is that a factory finish or an after-the-fact modificaton? Interesting camera... and with film still in it might have some unusual pictures

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=370162253959
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't believe it's original, because a factory covering would still allow for the camera maker (either Zeiss Ikon or Contessa Nettel) to have its logo visible in some manner.

Plus, I know that it was the roaring 1920s, but I don't think that snakeskin was fashionable for photographic equipment of that era.

Seriously though, I don't think it's OEM, although it appears to be very nicely done.

The Piccolette is easy to cover, because most of the cameras had no covering -- just black paint.

Also, this has a very inexpensive lens and shutter combo, which goes against the bling. Of course, bling and high end were never kissing cousins, as we continue to learn from popular culture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I played with one of these at a camera fair last year (it was on a junk table.) I'm almost positive the cover is not original.

The shutter on the one I played with seemed quite fragile.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a piccolette (not covered like this) and I like the shutter more than the similar one on the vest pocket kodaks - seems a bit more reliable.. but these were mass produced cameras and not as solid as some. Anyone know how many piccolette's were made?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't think knows what he is selling at best or something else......
    Since when is rollfilm perforated ?????

Still nice old camera's.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For a while, I thought these were uncommon, but they aren't. They seem to come up with some regularity on eBay. I have one with a triplet and also one with a dial-set Compur and a Tessar. Both of my cameras are Contessa-Nettel products.

The camera survived the 1926 merger that created Zeiss Ikon. Production continued until 1931. It's not clear when the first Piccolette was produced, but I think it was around 1919 or 1920, first as a Contessa-Nettel product. That means the camera had an 11-year run, which is long by any standard.

I have a short writeup on the camera on my site.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cool, thanks elekm. I also thought they weren't common and paid something stupid like $36+shipping for the one I got (with the meniscus lens). I've picked up kodak VPKs for $10 or thereabouts with a bit of patience, but then there are usually 5 or 10 of those listed at any time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin