Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

RB 180mm lens separtion

Dear members,

I have have looking at ebay for a 180mm C lens for my RB 67.
    Quite a few have "lens separation" esp. on the rear element.
    Q:
    Does this affect the quality of the image ?
    Has anyone tried to repair this with Canada Balsem or equivilent and what were the results ?

Thanks for your repley's.
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's going to be hard to say how serious this problem is unless you have the lens in hand.

Given the low price of these lenses why not go for one in excellent condition....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you take a look in the APUG repair forum there is a thread on just this subject. Tells about glues and methods.

Good luck,
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Keith you are right with your last remark !
    Got my self last night an E+ 150mm SF C with every thing for a great price.....

Ed, I will

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB67s 180mm lens has no rear cell. I haven't seen any with separation as of yet since the front cell is such a very well sealed unit.

The 150mm is a very nice soft focus lens used mostly for studio portrait that should include discs to further soften the image to different degrees. A farily sharp image, with very little softening around the edges can be had at around f8.
    Last edited by paul ron; 02-27-2009 at 08:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Paul, you gave me the answer I was looking for.
    What explains the discoloration at the outer rim of the rear element ? Damage to the coating, or just an optical illusion ?

Do you, or somebody else have a chart for me with the drawings of the lenses ? (the optical system)
    I have looked at the site of Mamiya but to no avail.

I got the 150SF with the 3 disks, both caps and a hood, looking forward to it, I hope it will be close to the Imagon that I have and love for 4x5 inch.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    I got the 150SF with the 3 disks, both caps and a hood, looking forward to it, I hope it will be close to the Imagon that I have and love for 4x5 inch.
    You'll love it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB 150 is one of the most romantic lenses out there. It was a standard lens in the studio for glamor n portrait, still life n product work. It has just the right amount of softness n is so clean.

Oh Peter, you are probably seeing a relection in the 180mm rear. There is a frame mask at the back n maybe you're getting confused by it? Most 180s I've seen are in great shape, rarely see any bad glass.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Paul: the 180 has a rear cell: look at the scematic you gave me.
    Probably go for an E+ one when I need it, I first have to try out that 150.......

Thank's !

Peter
    Last edited by archphoto; 02-28-2009 at 05:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: confusion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin