Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,138   Online: 991

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Best Leaf Shutter Lens for Mamiya 645: 80mm or 70mm?

Hey.

I would like to start doing some 'strobist' style work with my Mamiya 645, and I'm looking for leaf shutter lenses. I've noticed that they are not all that common, and when they are, they are quite expensive. I think I'm just going to go for one right now, and see how it goes. My choice right now is the 80mm or the 70mm.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which they think is better?

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Please explain "strobist". If that means multiple flashes on the same exposure, why not just open the shutter (B) and fire the strobes by hand.....
    You don't need an expensive lens for that, you can use the lenses you allready have.
    Camera on a tripod 'cause.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I should have explained what I meant.
    The website is www.strobist.com.
    Basically it is using on camera flash as an alternative to expensive lighting.
    Anyway, I've done this with a digital camera, and would like to try this with film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are not all that pricey. Here is one at KEH for $119 in EX condition, and it includes the ability to return the lens if you dislike it for some reason: http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=. The 70mm is usually even cheaper than the 80. Mamiya also made a 150, which you can usually get for not even twice as much as the 80. KEH have an EX+ one for $225. Such a deal.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-28-2009 at 06:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks.. There is a local guy selling a 70mm for $250CAD. Even with the exchange and the shipping, I would prefer to buy the KEH one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 70mm that I purchased off eBay for very little money. I use it with either a Mamiya 645 Super, or a Mamiya 645 Pro.

I'm happy with it. It seems sharp and the shutter seems to work well.

I think the 80mm has two advantages:

1) it is likely to be newer than the 70mm, and given the fact that the lenses have built-in shutters, that may mean there is less likelihood that an 80mm will require service (I don't know if there are any parts availability issues for the older lens); and
    2) if you get one of the most recent 80mm versions, and have both the power winder and the necessary connecting cable, then the system cocks the shutter automatically. Otherwise, you need to manually cock the shutter for each shot (certainly important for weddings or other fast-paced work).

I don't know if you have ever used any of these lenses, but if not, they do have some special concerns. They are slightly larger than the non-leaf shutter lenses, and therefore the accessory focus assist lever isn't usable with them. In addition, if you have a metering prism, you lose the benefit of AE (at least when you are using the leaf shutter - if you revert to focal plane shutter use with them, the AE works fine). Finally, you need to set your focal plane shutter to 1/8 or slower in order to use the leaf shutter, and there is no interlock that requires that or reminds you of that.

Hope this helps.

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-28-2009 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After perusing that web site, you need to decide what is important for you.

personally, for the money, I would go up to a rb67 and use the built in capabilities of every lens to sync at every speed on the lens.

Or... using your existing equipment, learn how to live within the sync speed of the 645 body you have and work with that.

I have both and can only advise that you only go for advanced equipment when the equipment you have no longer does the job in the manner you visualize it in.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin