Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,334   Online: 835

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I use a tripod with 4x5 and 6x6 but never with 35mm.

I just bought a Mamiya 7 II and would like to use it mainly hand held. We'll see.

With portraits on 6x6 and 35mm it is almost always better with a tripod because at the moment of exposure the mirror goes up and you don't see the expression, blinking etc. However when shooting lifestyle kid stuff a tripod might get in the way.

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    all the time for MF, sometimes for 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course, I use a tripod for LF, but rarely with my Mamiya 7. If I would use the Mamiya for shots I usually take LF, I would for sure use it on a tripod as well. However, I usually use the Mamiya when LF is not feasible. In these cases, extreme sharpness is usually not required. But I'm rarely dissatisfied with the sharpness of a hand-held Mamiya 7!

You may perhaps consider a monopod for your Mamiya.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 35mm and shooting landscapes, I try to use a tripod 99% of the time. For street scenes, almost never. For MF, I find I have to use a tripod all the time to preserve maximum DOF.

Maybe this has also got to do with me using Velvia 50 a lot.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I try to use mine whenever it's practical to do so. The 35mm format needs all the help it can get if you want sharp photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I shoot landscapes, I use it all the time. I have a Manfrotto. The total weight of the tripod, accessories and Hassey with a 40mm lens is a lot! I use the remote to trigger as well once I've got everything in focus.

I sometimes do the same thing in studio.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Always.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Years ago, when I used 35mm exclusively, we attended a group (non-photographers with children) who hosted slide shows (mostly of their children) a couple of times a year. Folks always ask me how I produced such “good” images – equipment / film / lens, et c. The only difference was that I usually used a tripod – really!

Now of course I use a tripod in every situation possible. There is one great trick for street photography with MF, or in locations prohibiting their use. I keep a short piece of braided twine tied to a ¼-20 eye-bolt, which fits the standard socket, in my pocket. When the situation arises, I attach the cord, step on the bitter end, and stretch it taught. Used with my C330f and the neck strap, I have produced clear images at shutter speeds as slow as ¼ sec. It is quite a steady system and perfect for 35mm.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always use a tripod for large format and medium format, and I try to use it most of the time for 35mm. Sometimes I find a monopod better for 35mm.
    Brian McDowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin