Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,379   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images
    For years, I've been using large format -- 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. It is standard operation to setting up the tripod. I like tripod work for several reasons: it takes the load off my back and it makes for a nice, relaxed pace, it gives me time for precise composition. Now I'm using some medium format cameras, too. Mamiya 7 and Pentax 67. I like them for their size and speed. Typically, I don't put them on a tripod, unless the exposure is long or I'm using the self-timer. I figure that if I'm going to take the trouble to set up a tripod, I might as well use LF.

What are your habits and thoughts on this? Do you always use a tripod, no matter what? Do you find that your pictures are always sharper with a tripod? If you make a careful exposure at a quick shutter speed do you go without the tripod?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I prefer to use a tripod all of the time - 35mm, MF or LF. Now with the 35mm that does not always happen (bean bag works as a good backup). To find out what difference it makes try to take the same shot - 1 with tripod and 1 without. Now enlarge the same sections of the photograph and well you get the idea. Not saying you can't take a sharp image without a tripod, but it sure does make a difference for me.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I am going to use a tripod, I will usually use large format. For medium format I will use a tripod most of the time, but not always, and for 35mm I almost never use a tripod. I feel the whole point of using 35mm is for it's speed of use. A tripod kind of defeats that advantage so I may as well use a bigger camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a tri-pod when ever there is time/space to set up. I dont lik using it with portraits (out door), but for most of my "fine art" I try to usea tri-pod (btw, I'm using a Broncia 6x6). I'm actually going to try shooting some more 4x5 with out a tri-pod. Nothing seriuos of course, but just to see how it looks.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With MF, practically never. With LF, practically always. I haven't tried any of my MF folders on tripod yet, and I always use a tripod for the monorail LF.

But my Bronica ETRS sometimes goes on the tripod, and my folding LF's (9x12cm and 5x7") are sometimes used hand held.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My MF camera is a Pentax 6x7, which I rarely use with a tripod. I enjoy the Hell out of shooting wide-open hand-held...the biggest advantage of an f/2.4 lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I never go anywhere without my tripod, and always use it, both with 35 mm and MF. Since I only shoot landscapes and details in nature, the extra time needed for using a tripod does not matter. I have found that it slows me down, so I pay better attention to making my images.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    for every shot.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a tripod for every shot. If I were doing street photography with med format then I would not even think of going near one of the darned things.

It kind of depends on what you are shooting doesn't it?

Even with 35mm if I am shooting something static I prefer to use a tripod or a bean bag etc.. If I don't then I will usually shoot at a much higher speed and also take a couple extra shots just in case. It sometimes works but I have often been sorry I didn't take the time to set up the tripod.

If shooting a bike race or kids party I don't usually use a tripod but I am also not expecting big enlargements. I have gotten some great results shooting mountain bike jumps or football games with a 300mm on a monopod, but some movement blurring is to be expected.

When shooting with strobes I often don't as the speed of the strobe will take care of any camera shake and it gives me a little more freedom with 35mm or medium format.

Of course with 4x5 I always use a tripod as I'm not tough enough to do it hand held even if I wanted to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin