Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1312

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    Les, Have you ever tried with the 2450? Also scanning in Neg mode then converting in photshop?
    Thomas,

I've not used the 2450 and know little about it but I will ask around the industry in the UK to see what I can find out. The strength of the 3200 IMO lies in the quality of the software. It gives the ability to manipulate the raw scan and vary the end result and it is so simple to use. I've used a number of real top end scanners costing up to £17,000 (sterling) in promotions and photo shows in the UK and the software offers little extra.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    Don't get the Epson 2450 it really sucks for negs. Works fine for prints but can't seem to handle the range of information inside a neg.
    Not to be disagreeable as I haven't used the 2450. I have the 3200 and from what I remember of the specs it only seems to be a slight improvement over the 2450. When I first got it I was more than a little disappointed with the results I got until I started scanning in grey scale in 16 bit and color in 48 bit.

Not all scanning software supports scanning in higher bit modes.

Cheers,
    Ian

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    On another list I visit I have seen references to an Epson 4870 flatbed scanner due out early next year, details of which are on the web, I believe. This is supposed to be highly specified.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been looking at Epson 3200 Pro, Epson 3200, and Epson 3170. I've closely studied the specs, and I still can't tell what the difference is, since the 3170 is substantially cheaper than the 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre
    I've been looking at Epson 3200 Pro, Epson 3200, and Epson 3170. I've closely studied the specs, and I still can't tell what the difference is, since the 3170 is substantially cheaper than the 3200.
    3170 to 3200

3200 has a 4 inch wide transparency scanning strip compared to the 3170's 2.25 inch. (approximate sizes)

Also the 3170 does not support firewire.

3200 to 3200 pro is simply software differences.

Cheers,
    Ian

Pierre,

I have received my 3170 this morning, and I am still shaking my head in disbelief. My 6x7 slides, color and b&w negs are sharp, very sharp.

Here's an example (Ilford Delta 400 in Ilfosol S) :

http://www.jrainville.com/files/img005_med.jpg

and a 100% crop at only 600 dpi with absolutely no sharpening or anything, straight out of the scanner :

http://www.jrainville.com/files/img005_detail.jpg

When I ordered it, all I had in mind was to scan the few MF negs I have and return it. After spending the whole day with it (I even forgot to eat) I am keeping it, and seriously considering selling some of my 35mm equipment to afford a 6x7 camera (the MF negs I have now were shot a few months ago with a rented Mamiya 7 II w/80mm.)

Can the 3200 be any better?... Maybe, I don't know. I do know that I like what the 3170 gives me, at half the price of the 3200 (I am Canadian too).

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For me the thing about the 3200 was the firewire capability. I can scan VERY quickly now. Combine that with a hyperthreading chip, and I can play Red Orchestra while scanning....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for posting that Joel. That's a terrific photo, and the scan sure meets whatever standards I would have. That pretty much settles it in favour of the 3170 as far as I'm concerned - as soon as I have $300 bucks Cdn, that is.

As for firewire, nice to have i guess, but I'm already falling a little behind in terms of computer equipment. My computer isn't old, but no firewire on that baby, and probably never will be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is a rub. For me I just happened to have it on my audio card that I bought earlier. It does do USB too though. USB2 if I am not mistaken.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Epson has announced a new scanner to replace the 3200, the 4870. It scans with a resolution of 4800 dpi and handles film sizes up to about 6X8" or 6X9". According to Epson should be available around February 1, 2004, and street price is said to be slightly below $500 US, more for the 4870 PRO.

Sandy King

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin