Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,222   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let's face it, as much as we love film and the darkroom, it's sometimes necessary to scan slides or negatives, or prints. You can't show anything on the Internet without doing this. MF film scanners are impossibly out of my reach, but from what I can tell, an Epson 3170 flatbed might be a good choice, pricewise, for scanning both film and darkroom prints. Anyone have practical experience with it?

I don't care about whether I can then make prints from the scans, as I don't intend to use it for that.

While I had a Canoscan 8000F before I sold it in favour of getting a Minolta Scan Dual III film scanner a while back, I thought that flatbed did a pretty decent job, even with 35mm film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Aggie. I will have a look at your photos. My understanding is that the 3170 is virtually the same scanner as the 3200 in terms of the actual scanning. Huge difference in price here in Canada though. The 3200 is over $600 Cdn.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don't get the Epson 2450 it really sucks for negs. Works fine for prints but can't seem to handle the range of information inside a neg.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    35mm
    As a general rule, the bigger the negative the lesser critical the scanner is.
    For 8x10, even a cheap 600 dpi scanner is ample enough for Internet posting.

For MF (6x6, 6x7), I would go for a 1200 dpi.

Jorge O

Images
    I've had good luck with Mictotek scanners.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aggie:

How do you scan the 8x10 negs on the 3200? I was interested in getting one but it looks as if the transparency hood only illuminates up to 5 inches wide. I've only seen pictures of it on the net though, not in person. Thanks for any info you can offer.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had the 3200 for a few months and I'm happy with my scans. All the images I've posted in the gallery in the past two weeks have been scanned on it.

With regard to scanning 8 x 10 negatives, ypu would scan on reflective setting with the hood cover in place, the scan would be in negative which is easily converted in Photoshop.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Les, Have you ever tried with the 2450? Also scanning in Neg mode then converting in photshop?
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    have you looked at www.publishingperfection.com

they have refurbished Minolta Multi-scan medium format neg/slide scanners for $299 or $399 (depends whether you want ROC/GEM or not).

It's where I purchased my minolta scan elite and it still works great.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin