Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,695   Online: 859

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My 50mm Blad, T* and shade only cost me $550usd on eBay. My 150mm T* cost around $300usd again on eBay. I haven't paid more than $350cad for an A12 back. Everything has been in great shape. I too don't like to throw money away so am willing to wait for the right deal on the right lens to get what I want.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

A word of caution about the Bronica. Calumet is no longer accepting them in trade; has to do with ability to resell them in the burgeoning digital market. Might be a reason to consider the Hassy.
    take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bronica does just fine on e-bay, and I doubt e-bay will stop accepting them. In my opinion, you want to go with a MF camera that you aren't looking to trade in the short-term. Hasseys are so much more expensive initially, and really don't sell for all that much more on the secondary market than Bronicas do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can also recommend the Bronica system. I have a fairly complete ETRS system that I bought back in the mid 80's and I have only had one problem (cable release socket under warranty). I don't use it much anymore but it still is capable of doing everything that a person would want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nothing at all "wrong" with the Bronicas. They were close seconds in my decision to go with Hasselblad.
    As I've written before, the two factors that tipped the scales FOR ME, was the Hasselblad dedication to long-term interchangeability of components and the fact that the `Blads did NOT need batteries.
    Those were important factors in my mind. Your mileage may vary.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Nothing at all "wrong" with the Bronicas. They were close seconds in my decision to go with Hasselblad.
    As I've written before, the two factors that tipped the scales FOR ME, was the Hasselblad dedication to long-term interchangeability of components and the fact that the `Blads did NOT need batteries.
    Those were important factors in my mind. Your mileage may vary.
    Ed,
    I can't speak to the other Bronica models but my ETRS will default to a preset shutter speed if the battery fails. To be honest I would need to refer to the manual to determine what that speed is. I have never had a battery failure occur in the middle of a session and so I have never had to rely on that knowledge. My mind is to darned cluttered with insignificant garbage as it is.

The Bronica does have the consideration of lenses dedicated to a format.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is beginning to take on the flavor of a Chevy vs Dodge thing. Each system is great, fantastic photos have been made with each and everyone has their own personal reasons for choosing one system over another.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Having been on staff at many of the national photo magazines I have had an unusual opportunity to use nearly all the medium format cameras on the market, most for extended periods of time. If you are going to be doing studio portriat work (or any studio work) I highly recommend the Mamiya RZ67. It is a bullet proof workhorse of a camera.

i finally ended up with the Pentax 67 because it is fast and easy to use and I don't need interchangeable backs or Polaroid. I was also told by an industry insider who was asked to test Mamiya, Hasselblad and pentax lenses to see which were sharpest that Pentax lenses are the best of the 3. Everyone was surprised and the company that hired him buried the study. If you are going to do fine art, or if you are very confident in your exposure technique I can highly recommend the Pentax.

As far as I know, it is also the only medium format camera that changes from 120 to 220 film without having to buy another back or insert. Considering the fact that backs for most cameras are going in the $500 to $900 range these days, that can save a few bucks.

Good luck with your selection. Let us know how it works out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're purchasing new, the backs can be expensive, but I purchase mine used for around $100 each.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I know, it is also the only medium format camera that changes from 120 to 220 film without having to buy another back or insert. Considering the fact that backs for most cameras are going in the $500 to $900 range these days, that can save a few bucks

rollei sl66 backs can take both 120 & 220 films - although Ilford are discontinuing their 220 films, and i imagine that other film manufacturers will follow at some point. And Backs are about £180-£200 although are getting rare in UK now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin