Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,404   Online: 999

Shooter
    35mm

Seagull 4A-1 with 75 mm lens

Hi all,

I have been interested in using medium format cameras for quite some time and came across a Seagull 4A-1 with a 75 mm lens, offered for $100.

The owner says it's 20 years old, bought it new, and put only 2 or 3 rolls through it before he went to an SLR.

Everything I am reading online says negative things about it like the shutter breaks rather quickly, or it doesn't take clear pictures at certain apertures, et cetera.

I'd like to know what your experiences and opinions are with this camera...

Thanks in advance,

Tanya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would let it pass, there are better alternatives around then a Seagull. For a little more you can get a Rolleicord IV or Vb that has better optics and is more reliable. And on top of that, when the seagull breaks it might be impossible to fix due the lack of parts. Avoid I would say.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Everything's got a reasonable price. IMHO, $100 for a Seagull is a bit steep. I might pay $25 or $50 for one if I knew it was in working condition, but for $100 there are other alternatives. I recently bought a Mamiya C220 with 135mm lens for about $95, shipped, from an eBay seller. That's an unusually good price for this camera, but it illustrates my point: You can find better for the same price. Haggle the seller down and it may be another story. If you're not sure you want to go far in MF or TLR photography, a Seagull for $25-50 might be a reasonable choice to just dip your toes in the water, as it were.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Uncle Goose, you can get a much better camera for roughly the same amount of money. I have a Yashica-Mat LM that I bought for about $100 and it is very reliable and takes decent shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally I'd avoid it as well. These days you can buy very solid MF equipment for very little money. If you look hard enough $100 can buy you an old Yashica TLR that will last you the rest of your life, or an Agfa folder perhaps, or a host of other good solid models with great optics and a reputation of being reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a sea gull...a great camera as an entry point, but $100 is a joke. I bought mine for $40. K

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the input everyone!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin