Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,379   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Medium Format

You're going to get tired of me (Hasselblad 500CM question)

I have one last question! When I get everything cocked, my camera's auxiliary shutter only seems to stay open as long as my finger is pressing the button down. Won't that cause problems if there is a slow shutter speed? I turned the little thing on the shutter button to 'T', but then it opened and didn't close. What's the proper way to do this? Or do I just hold the shutter open as long as I need to? Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It will only cause a problem with slow shutterspeeds if you do not keep your finger pressing the shutter release button until the shutter has done and completed its job.

So do exactly that!

You should do that at all speeds, but it becomes really important at speeds of 1/15 and slower.

The T-lever is fine for long exposures, with the shutter set to "B".
    It will keep the rear shutter open, but to close it, you need to set it to O again (just like a real T-mode, hence the "T".)

A cable release would be better though. The T-lever will not work with a cable releases, so you need one that has a lock of its own.

P.S.

Get yourself a User Manual for your camera !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks and sorry for the obviously stupid question! I'll read up

Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not a stupid question.
    But do read up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope, not a stupid question.
    I've developed a habit of leaving my finger down for about a second or so, regardless of the exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I'll just get used to that. Thanks guys. Just got this camera as a replacement for a defective one so I was just worried is all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blankk View Post
    Thanks and sorry for the obviously stupid question! I'll read up

Joe
    Joe,

There are no stupid Hasselblad questions. This is especially true when dealing with add or removing a lens and/or close-up rings, because done wrong the lens or body can become uncocked and lead to a jamb. Recocking lenses and clearing jambs must be done carefully to avoid costly repairs.

Q. G. is the best single point contact here for questions related to the history or technical issues related to Hasselblads.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thing if you use a tri pod and cable reless you can pre release the camera to reduce the vibrations caused by the aux shutter and mirror, but you still have to hold the cable release in the firing position till the lens shutter completes the exposer. Another words prerelease camera with the button on the side of the camera then press the cable release to make exposer, I think I wrote it right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Hassy Planar T* 80mm lens has a red line next to the 1/4, 1/2 and 1 sec times, which I was told indicates that for those particular shutter speeds, you need to keep the button pressed for the duration of the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    My Hassy Planar T* 80mm lens has a red line next to the 1/4, 1/2 and 1 sec times, which I was told indicates that for those particular shutter speeds, you need to keep the button pressed for the duration of the exposure.
    Correct.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin