Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 818

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice, will do the checking later today after office. The back doesn't move around and it fits snugly to the body.

On the suggestion by DannL that the film may be loose on its spool, this may actually happened as well. As this is my very first time loading a roll of film on the Hassy back, a thousand things may go wrong and I can't discard that possibility.

Shooter
    35mm

burger tray light seals

Went to the local super market, bought some really nice beef burgers in a black plastic tray. Went home cut up plastic tray and made a copy of Hasselblad light seal. Found a suitable piece of foam strip cut to size, completed fitting new diy seal. Ate burgers, nice! 9 months on, light seal still nice and tight on dark slide, no light leaks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by normsgonewild View Post
    Went to the local super market, bought some really nice beef burgers in a black plastic tray. Went home cut up plastic tray and made a copy of Hasselblad light seal. Found a suitable piece of foam strip cut to size, completed fitting new diy seal. Ate burgers, nice! 9 months on, light seal still nice and tight on dark slide, no light leaks.
    And you risked your Hassy getting mad cow disease!!?? You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally do not think the fogging here reached the film through the DS light trap! This effect is easily caused by "fumble fingers" when loading or unloading.
    It would be much easier diagnose if you had posted the negative strips them selves.

Charlie........................................... ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll be interested to hear if you solve these leaks. It's that second picture you posted with the leak on the bottom right that interests me. I had something similar recently, happening in the exact same place consistently, but leaks also occurred towards the center of the bottom of the frame. I'll attach a sample of a close crop. Oddly, there was on a few frames a dark line too running along the bottom of the frame (you can barely see it in this attachment).

The first thing I did when I saw it was go outside and test the 4 backs I used. Shot rolls with the lens cap on in strong sun. Two displayed classic leaking when the slide was taken in and out in open sun. But I was not able to recreate the bleeding on the bottom of the frame. Huh, right? Anyway, I'm replacing foam on them to be sure.

Then shoot keeping track of rolls to backs. So if occurs again, to see if I can catch the bad back.

Anyway, let me know if you come up with any solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails agenda_june09_02.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, for not replying to the questions earlier.

Charlie, is right when he said that the leaks could be from my fumbling when loading the film. The second and third test rolls from the back are perfect and show no signs at all of light leaking through. So far so good.

Since the new light seals I ordered have arrived I proceeded to have the seals changed. Anyway, I already sold this kit to a friend last week and informd him of the light leaks in mt first test roll, but the subsequent rolls are fine and I have already changed the light seal myself, just in case.

I sold the 500cm as I managed to get a relatively good deal on a like new 503cw set. The new kit has a minty 503cw body, wlf, 80mm cfe lens, 2 A12 back, 150mm CF lens. All come with boxes and manual. This 503cw set costs me about usd2300. The seller said he was the original owner (with receipt as proof) for about a year+ only and has shot about 20 rolls only.
    Last edited by chioque; 04-19-2009 at 10:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chioque View Post
    As this is my very first time loading a roll of film on the Hassy back, a thousand things may go wrong and I can't discard that possibility.
    Well, there you go. Loading a Hasselblad film magazine for the first time can be an, shall we say, interesting undertaking. There are lots of ways to screw up. After a couple of tries it gets to be automatic, like driving a standard shift car. I'm betting money that you had some difficulty.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How to load a Hasselblad film back:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6hDyMmkqA

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice film.

But what not (!) to do, however, is pull the film until the start mark appears.
    Just pull enough to fit the tab into the take up spool.

What you also do not (!) want to do is flap the film about after locking the guide clip.
    The guide clip is not meant to hold the film. Just to pull it down a bit, so it doesn't snag when you put the insert into the magazine.

So do not (!) follow that part of the instruction, but do it right instead:
    - after sliding the leader underneath the guide clip, pull enough of the leader to fit the tab to the take up spool,
    - turn the take up spool until the start mark appears opposite the triangle, pulling the film through as you go,
    - turn the magazine's lock key to engage the guide clip, and drop the insert into the shell

and go on from there.

This guy does that part better (but note the "Oops! It's kinda loose."!).
    But he doesn't have a clue about the function of the guide clip, and hence forgets to lock it down before putting the insert into the shell.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 04-21-2009 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Want to know how to properly load a Hasselblad back? Go here. If you find it useful, send the guy the couple of bucks he asks for the service of having all these manuals on line and available 24x7. From the looks of it, half the folks putting these videos out there have not ever read the darned manual.
    Frank Schifano

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin