Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,982   Online: 1096

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hassy 500cm - Does this look like film back light leak?

I just bought a Hasselblad 500Cm a couple days ago, and this is my first test roll with the camera. However, I had this in most of the negatives, eg. in the attached image.

Is this a tell-tale sign of a light leak in the A12 magazine? Sorry, if this is a common question as I'm very new to the V series Hassy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010_10_2.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is indeed a light leak. Order some Hasselblad OEM parts off of Ebay and do it yourself for only $25. It takes 10 minutes tops
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second what Andrew just said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, will do order one ASAP. Just one more thing, the light leak is prominent on the left side. However, there are also negatives that show the leak appearing on the right hand side. Is this the normal light leak or something worse?

Example is attached, where the leak appears on the right instead of the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 007_7.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Light leaks on the opposite side to where the darkslide comes in could be something else, but my guess is that once light gets in, it can be reflected around. That said, your last image does not show the typical Left hand side flare either. I'd still change the light trap as an insurance policy. If you still get problems, then there must be another hole somewhere where it's getting in. Is there a way to show us a scan of the whole film area including the film rebates?? How old is the back also?
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry this is the scan from the lab and my V700 scanner is on its way. So I can't really show the whole negative until at least for a couple of days. Anyhow, I have already ordered the light seals from ebay and since it's coming from the US, it will take at least a week to reach here in Malaysia. For good measure, I have also ordered another A12 magazine from KEH.

BTW, from the serial number of the A12, it seems it was made in 1975, and the camera body was made in 1986.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is a light leak. Your back needs new seals. You can order them from a number of places including David Odessa or you can get them installed locally [but you have to lets us know where your are].

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    You can order them from a number of places including David Odessa or you can get them installed locally [but you have to lets us know where your are].
    "I have already ordered the light seals"

"It will take at least a week to reach here in Malaysia."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is there any significant movement of the back on the body? That might also cause a light leak - see also http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/6...hat-loose.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flip your images upside down to determine where the leaks might reside in your camera. This is the orientation of the image at the film plane as viewed from the back of your camera. The light marks for the fire hydrant picture are on the side of the camera opposite where you insert your darkside. The light marks on the play ground image are above and below the darkside insertion area. Unless the play ground image was somehow inverted prior to being presented to us, you must have light leaks on both sides of the camera back. Interesting indeed.

Should I hazard a guess, the film backing paper was probably loose on the spool at some point. Most likely, that the film was loaded/unloaded in bright light and that the film was allowed to become loose on the spool prior to inserting/removing the film insert.
    Last edited by DannL; 03-30-2009 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin