Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,636   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hold it... hold it... hold it...

Many new users of Mamiya RBs tend to fire the shutter, and as soon as they hear the mirror go up they move. I see this all the time with my first time MF students. It doesn't work as fast as 35mms.

What you don't realize is the shutter fires after the mirror goes up. This lag time is what causes your out of sharp pix. Hold on one more second after you hear the mirror and your shots will start to clear up imediately.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the mirror cam is out of whack. I had a pro s and an RZ and they both have an extremely smooth mirror action. If yours is really whacking, you probably need to let someone look at it or just buy another body.

I went out shooting my RB pro s at 1/60th hand held and it was fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    Many new users of Mamiya RBs tend to fire the shutter, and as soon as they hear the mirror go up they move. I see this all the time with my first time MF students. It doesn't work as fast as 35mms.

What you don't realize is the shutter fires after the mirror goes up. This lag time is what causes your out of sharp pix. Hold on one more second after you hear the mirror and your shots will start to clear up imediately.
    Very good suggestion. Are you sure the ground glass is in correct position, BTW? Sometimes movement blur and out-of-focus blur look exactly the same.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The mirror runs on a govonor so there is very little vibration. Faster shutter speeds and a tripod are always a help of course but it's the lag time that screws up focus more that anything else.

I'd problably want to check the focusing accuracy the film plane to be certain everything is aligned but that is not not usually the cause in a working camera in the hands of someone unfamiliar with the equipment.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an RB67 ProS years ago and never once experienced any blur due to vibration. I shot hand held quite a bit too. Which film back are you using? If you are using the motorized one, there is a film plate adjustment that switches the back from 120 to 220 operation. If it's not on the correct setting your film may not be flat. That would not be good.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It would be interesting to find out how long the mirror shake vibration lasts before it dies down. It would appear that longer exposures would have less of a problem since the shake would take up less time of the total exposure. Also, your expectations for sharpness are less from a handheld.
    art is about managing compromise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin