Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,215   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Agfa Clack + Fuji Velvia 50... What now?

Hi guys!

I need some help here. A where else to turn than APUG?

Ive bourght a mint (seriously mint) Agfa Clack for something like $2.. I got a roll of 120 Fuji Velvia 50. I have put it in and im ready to go.

Problem is however, that this will be my first ever 120 film. And also my first ever try at medium format. And I have never used a Agfa Clack.

As you can understand, I need some help...

How do I shoot this bad boy?

Thanks in advance, and go easy on a medium format virgin ;-)

Oliver

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets see you open the camera up then figure the distance to subject, set camera to that distance and set the Iris to F-16 and set shutter to 1/125 of a sec
    and hold steady or place on tripod and shoot repeat till film is used Up : [ !/125 at F-16. is the sunny sixteen rule ] Have fun:
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    35mm
    Trouble is, that the Agfa Clack has two aperture settings. Cloudy at f/11 and sunny at f/12.5.. and there are no such thing as shutter speed controle it is either 1/35 or bulb...

Focal lenght is 95mm as far as I can figure out.

Cheers
    Last edited by oliver|PHOTO; 04-15-2009 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oliver,
    first off, have fun with it, the clack is a true gem

Setting the focus and aperture is pretty easy since it only gives you a few options. For distances less than 3 meters, you set the little tab to the red-lettered side that reads: 1-3m. For distances of 3-infinity, you can select either "sunny" or "cloudy". Either of those settings will work for focusing at distances greater than 3 meters (ambiguity is all the rage).

I'm not sure on the exact shutter speeds, but I've used my clack with "great" results all hand-held (just try to hold relatively still). The only potential problem is overexposure, but with velvia 50, you should be fine. (I've shot up to 200 speed at standard dev without completely blowing it out)

Hope this helps!
    Enjoy.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love my Clack. I've got a 6x9 version, but not such a great deal because it's mostly blurry on each side anyway! No worries on the film, these were made when "high-speed" film was 100asa. Since you are shooting slide film, just make sure the sun is behind you.

One thing to mention. There is a red window with a cover so you can see the frame numbers when you wind. Older film was red-light safe. Go into the shade to peek and wind to the next frame.

Just thought of one kinda neat thing about the Clack that you might use to creative effect. The shutter cocks and fires in one motion, meaning you can do some interesting motion stuff quickly by click-click-click'ing as a girl on a bike passes by, or suchlike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you do with 6x9 slides? Do they even make projectors that big, or do you just have to hold them up to the light and look at them in the positive-film equivalent of a contact print?

I am *not* wondering what slides from my Foldex 20 would look like. Nope. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    What do you do with 6x9 slides? Do they even make projectors that big, or do you just have to hold them up to the light and look at them in the positive-film equivalent of a contact print?

I am *not* wondering what slides from my Foldex 20 would look like. Nope. :-)

-NT
    Naw...I shoot black and white in my Clack.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I'd recommend getting some 120 print film (color, chromogenic black and white, or B&W) or at least a lower contrast slide film (e.g. Astia) to give yourself a bit more leeway in the exposure. Or just try it in the sun with the smaller aperture and see what happens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clacks were made in an era when asa 32 Verichrome was one of the faster films around. Get out into the sunshine, stop down, and have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks the perfect camera to use in Aarhus! Try it out in the tranquil woods at Riiskov or photographing some of the historic homes just outside the front entrance of Aarhus Psychiatric Hospital. I visited a psychiatrist friend of mine there a few years ago, just in case you're wondering, who showed me the hirtoric part of the hospital where the wealthy private patients lived in the Denmark of King Christian X's childhood. If the images come out slightly blurred it will add to the romanticism of the place.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin