Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,226   Online: 696

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What camera/lens might fit the bill?

Hello,

I am considering a project in which I will need a camera that can shoot vertical (or square format) shots from stomach height while walking, has a lens with an approx. 90 degree AOV on the long dimension (about like an 17 - 20mm lens on 35mm), and has a flash synch that will allow fill flash in daylight. I am willing to use small format, but medium would be preferred. I could also use large format, I suppose.

This is what I am thinking of so far:

- Speed Graphic w/ 65mm or 75mm lens, hung sideways from the flash brackets with preset focus. Would need to purchase 65mm lens and board. I already have a 75mm Mamiya press lens that I could try to mount. ( I don't mind some vignetting.) The 75 would give me about the horizontal AOV of a 21mm on small format. Not too shabby.
    - Rent Hassy SWC. Still not very wide at about 75 degrees AOV
    - 35mm lens on Mamiya M645 held sideways. Kind of a hassle to have to hold sideways instead of letting it hang, and 35mm is not quite wide enough for what I think I want.
    - Blackbird, Fly (33mm lens) with accessory wide lens. Which accessory wide lenses might work?
    - Rollei Wide 55mm with accessory wide lens. Which accessory lenses might work?
    - 17mm lens on 35mm SLR held vertically. '60 flash synch is a likely problem.
    - Borrow a friend's EOS 1 and 17-40 zoom. Flash synch speed is better on this one, and at least it has a vertical grip and can be hung vertically. The problem is zone focusing with this lens, which, like any AF lens I've ever used, has a near-useless focusing/DOF scale.

I also have Mamiya C and RZ systems. Is there a rectilinear lens for the RZ that is wider than 50mm? Their 30-something would be perfect, but it is a fisheye.

Super sharpness is not necessary, but I also don't just want a totally fuzzy image.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-17-2009 at 04:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rent a RB/RZ? One of those (or both) has a rotating back that will let you shoot vertical without turning the camera. Either that, or shoot horizontal and crop, though I'm not sure about getting 90 deg AOV that way.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Yes, the RB's back can be rotated from landscape to portait, you can easily view TTL without flipping up the viewing diopter and the 65 would be the first lens a little wider than 90 degrees.

'Course it would be a weighty tag-a-long on second thought. I know in that long list you swing around you have a TLR somewhere.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 04-17-2009 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Yes, the RB's [...] 65 would be the first lens a little wider than 90 degrees.
    68 degrees over the diagonal, even less so over the long side?
    The 50 mm lens (shortest rectilinear wide for the RB/RZ) won't reach 90 degrees either.

You could however use the fisheye, and de-fish the image afterwards.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How do you plan on composing your shot with something like a Speed or an SLR that doesn't have a waist level finder? How about using something like an Exakta with a waist level finder and a wide lens - you could mask the finder to a square format.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Thanks for the ideas.

I have an RZ, but there is no lens that is wide enough. on 6x7, I would need something like a 35mm lens. The RZ would be ideal for this.

Perhaps an RB with a 6x8 back and the 50mm would do. Hard to hunt down all that stuff quickly enough, and it might be a bit out of my budget for the project.

I don't need to compose the shots, other than generally pointing the camera toward someone. I wouldn't mind a quick composition on a WLF, but it is not necessary.

A Sinar Handy with a 65 or 75 would be great, but they are not that common, are a bit pricey, and I already have the Speed.

A TLR would also be the great, but I don't know how to get one with a wide enough lens, other than accessory lenses on my Rollei Wide or Blackbird, Fly.

The 50mm on my Mamiya Press would work too, but that is a rare and expensive lens.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-17-2009 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can you rent a Mamiya 7 with the correct wide angle lens? I was going to suggest a Mamiya 645 (and crop) but the lack of leaf shutter lenses would kind of prohibit the sunlight fill flash sync. A wide TLR is probably what you want. What's the widest lens for the Mamiya C330?

Shooter
    Large Format
    How about an ordinary box with a 75mm or 65mm lens on the front and a film 4x5 film holder on the back. If you could get by with fixed focus, and it sounds like you can, this could be a quick and relatively inexpensive solution.

You could start with this foamcore 4x5 pinhole design.

I have an orphaned 75mm Super Angulon and have actually been meaning to do this.

I think your original 4x5 crown graphic with a 65mm or 75mm lens is probably the most expedient. The 75mm Super Angulon wants to sit right on the hinge point though...so, maybe a 65mm would be better?

If you have more cash, go for a Fotoman 45PS set up with a 65mm lens
    Last edited by BradS; 04-17-2009 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just had a play with my Bronica SQ-B / 40mm PS Zenzanon and that seems to do the trick and it's not too heavy, either. The beauty of the 40mm lens is that you can pre-focus it and most of everything will be in focus.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But a 40 mm lens on 6x6 does not cover 90 degrees on a side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin