Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,260   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sold my Hasselblad outfit to buy a 6006 Mark 1 : The lenses were equivalent in performance but the camera was nothing but trouble.Big mistake.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My personal opinion is that these are among the most rapid handling medium format systems out there, and the lenses are superb. But the camera system has an achilles heel - the need to have a GOOD power source, and working batteries for them are quite scarce. A few years ago, Rollei was selling a power adapter that allowed the camera to work off of either AC or remote battery packs - which could be made from 10 standard Li On, Alkaline, or Ni Mh rechargeables. Unfortunately, those packs are not small enough to fit in the battery chamber, so you need to be teathered to the camera, and keep a battery pack in your pocket if you used this. But at least I can be sure that I will have an easily available power source for this system if one of the regular obsolete but working NiCad packs bites the dust during a shoot.

But in any case, assuming that you have a couple of good batteries and a charger that does a good job of conditioning the packs so that they stay good, I really like the system.

One other general comment. One of the things I like about MOST medium format systems is that they really slow me down, relative to either Digital or 35mm - and they force the shooter to work FAR more deliberately. But the Rollei 600x is such a fast handling system that it, really alone among the various MF systems I've used, really doesn't slow you down that much except when changing film - and if you have pre-loaded enough film inserts, even that doesn't slow you down particularly. So this is, in some sense, a bit of a double edged sword. These Rollei systems are really alone among MF systems in allowing you to shoot nearly as quickly as a good 35mm system.
    Last edited by dougjgreen; 05-07-2009 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I sold off my 6006 late last year. I was just not using it and I didn't seem to want to pick the camera up anymore. My general impression is that it is a hell of a camera with a 80 lens rated as one of the best ever and it proved it to me. I had gotten just amazing pictures with it, but I grew tired of the weight and bulk of all my MF equipment and got out of it. I also owned a Hassy 501cm but I liked the Rollie better. I only wished they had made the 6006 a manual body instead of motorized. The weight would have dropped and maybe the size as well. If I were to do it over I'd go for a 6008i if the funds were available but for the right price the 6006 is hard to beat. Accessories can be accumulated over time and extra lenses were sometimes pricey when I had mine.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting thread this. I picked up a mint 6008i + 4 lenses a while back and was blown away by the sophistication, handling and quality feel it had. However ....... it 's given me nothing but trouble !! Problems with the mirror return, especially in cold weather and now I think the film wind on mechanism has broke. The times it has worked ok it's given me stunning quality, and the handling and features are superb but this doesn't make up for the let downs. The biggest pain is trying to find a repairer here in the UK - any suggestions anyone ??
    I've gone back to using my old faithfull RB67 system which has had alot of abuse but just keeps going. The lens/ image quality I find no difference than the Zeiss (for the work I do - up to 16x20 image B+w handprints) and best of all if you do break it you can replace secondhand for very little money.

Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think you're going to like what I have to say. I bought a camera a number of years ago with an 80mm lens. I also bought the 150 and a 50 new. The camera has a wonderful design and was a joy to use... but the photos weren't sharp. I took it to the repair centre and they said the screen was in up-side down... but the second repair guy said it wasn't. They got in a huge argument regarding which way the screen should go in.

A few weeks later I was shooting a wedding with the camera. I'm at the back of the church and the organ is just starting to play Here comes the bride. I take one more shot of the bride and dad before they start up and the mirror breaks off.... actually breaks right off and the camera starts flapping inside on continuous with the mirror off.

Most likely i should have dumped the camera, kept the lenses and bought a new 6008 but I was too gun shy... and didn't feel the repair people knew what they were doing.

I switched to Blad but have since switched to the Pentax 645 because I like the AF.

Just my 2 cents worth.

A sales clerk said they were over engineered and I believe he was right.... but I did love plugging the flash into the camera instead of the lens.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey CC,

Are you still looking for a different mf love ? Give me a holler, am considering what to do with a 500c I don't use anymore.

ttyl,

Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For medium format it's all that I use. Today the basic system is reasonably priced, but it's the extras that add up. An extra magazine, which btw are great, goes for $400+ new, $200 used; film inserts, $75; filters (bayonet IV mount) $100-200; spare battery, $170, etc...

The electronics have taken a big hit on the www, but I have not had any problems. A freshly charged (new) battery gives me hundreds of frames, the extra battery bought on auction gives me less than a hundred. I have a box-full of battery fuses and have yet to use any. So yeah, I'm pleased with what I have, and If I did not already have a 6x6 it would be my first choice to buy. But buyer beware, these are pro cameras worked to death, and the stuff up for auction are highly suspect of being quite used and abused. For me, I knew to previous owner and knew the equipment was annually CLA'd.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had to change the way I do things because I've had too many problems w/ old cameras w/ old electronics, and even worse problems trying to get these cameras repaired. It's forced me into a position where I will only buy a camera that I have a shot at fixing myself, which means basically using Crown or Speed Graphic cameras or MF folders. I still have a soft spot for the more inexpensive Rolleiflex 3.5 Xenar but know that if it breaks I stand no chance of repairing it. The upside is that if you stick w/ Voigtlanders w/ Heliar or Color Skopars, Isolettes w/ Apotars or Solinars, Weltas w/ Schneider or Tessars etc you will still get some mighty nice photos.

I've also heard a few stories about buggy 6006 cameras, so it sounds like a bit of a risk to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using my SLX (predecessor to the 6006) since 1986 and it has served me well and is still going strong. Recently rebuilt my batteries for only the 3rd time in all those years. I bought it used and decided I would upgrade to the latest model if the SLX breaks. I'm still waiting to upgrade
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-14-2009 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Recently rebuilt my batteries for only the 3rd time in all those years.
    I have two dead battery packs that I want rebuild, who was your battery vendor? Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin