Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,396   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another noob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    RB67's seem to be the pill of choice for sufferers of G. A. S. this year, yours truly included.

Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, all, for the very warm welcome!

I've been reading through the forum for the past few weeks and have noted the great climate you have here in comparison to a number of the digital-camera forums I subscribe to. Maybe that has something to do with the general demeanor of those who continue to pursue film photography. I tend to think of the differences somewhat in terms of a parable, where the inexperienced come across someone with an expensive camera and ask whether it takes good pictures or not. As the old saying goes, a good photographer can take great pictures with a ten dollar Brownie. While the guy with the $8,000 D3X might have little more than a heck of a showpiece.

Seen on a billboard on the way to Yosemite Park: Camera doth not maketh the man, uh, photo.

Jan

P.S. What used to be a ten dollar brownie can probably be had for a lot less today. It's not quite a collector's item yet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wellcome. I lived in Upstate NY many years. Cartier Bresson never boght a second lens. I have a RB6X7 Pro S. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

Shooter
    35mm
    The RB67 is a remarkable camera; I got mine near the end of 2008 with 65mm and 127mm C lenses. I too love the camera, the images it is capable of, and the odd looks people give me when I lug it down the street on a big tripod over my shoulder, with cable releases dangling from the lens and the body. Good times!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Cartier Bresson never boght a second lens.
    Oh, yes he did!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from "the land of the endless mountains" north central Pennsylvania. You are at one of my favorite places on earth! i lived in Oswego N.Y. in the 70s and traveled most of the Dax for the company I worked for. Of course, my cameras were ALWAYS with me. Enjoy your new surroundings, and SHoot as much film as possible. BTW-get over to the Ausable Gorge this spring while its "greening",and take the ferry over to Burlington, Vt. Dang-I'm jealous of you!!!
    Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, this sounds like an RB AA meeting. Hi I'm Paul Ron NYC and I am addicted to RB67s since they first hit the streets. For that matter I'm addicted to any n all classic film cameras. I fix, use, live and eat RBs and can't go a minute without one or I get the DTs.

Enjoy your camera and that is a beautiful area you are in. I hope to see some of your pictures soon.

****BTW get the users manual and wahtever you do DON'T FORCE YOUR CAMERA IF IT GETS JAMMED! Most damage is from force, most times it's user error, not mechanical. Forgot the darkslide, an interlock is preventing you from shooting or you put something on or hit sometiung wrong. Stop what you are doing and go over everything and if you can't solve the problem, post it here and everyone will be more than happy to help you solve the problem.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again, guys.

Rick: one of the trips I've already planned is to Ausable Gorge, next month. Things should be greening up by then, though it's still somewhat cold here at night.

Ron: I know what you mean about not forcing *anything* on this beast. Should've seen me before the instructions arrived, trying to figure out how to fit a lens to the body. You probably would have had a good laugh. 120 back on, cock the shutter, cock the mirror, etc. Did that. Try to release the shutter; oh, you got to take the dark slide out.

Anyway, I'll be shooting a mix of b&w and color. I used to prefer negative film over slide film because of negative film's color density range, but I'm wondering if that matters anymore with today's films, given what's available. You guys have any recommendations as far as landscapes are concerned?

Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Jan,
    Welcome from southern California.
    Like you I caught the RB bug a couple of weeks ago. It appears there is no known cure for this malady. Going to shoot this weekend in our local mountains. Praying for good conditions.
    You won't find a better place to hang your hat anywhere on the web. Lots of knowledgeable and really pleasant folks. Hope you enjoy the Rb and your new home.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Jan, from another RB67 Junkie! Pauls right, this place is AA for RBaholics except we never try to break the habit! I haven't been out to PA in a while but was born out there. I seem to remember it was loverly. Cant complain though, I live about 25 minutes outside of Rocky Mountain Nat. Park and if all goes well will have my RB up there tomorrow.
    For a film recommendation I'd say Fuji Velvia 50. I just love the colors and man do they look good on the light table.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin