Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,515   Online: 936

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another noob

Shooter
    Medium Format

Another noob

Hi folks, another noobie to the forum here. A little bit about me:

I've lived upstate NY for the past four years or so, but recently moved to a cabin in the Adirondacks, in a place called Saranac Inn, right at the northern-most tip of Upper Saranac Lake. It's a great location for landscapes and wildlife pix.

Though I own a Nikon D300 outfit, I recently picked up an RB67 Pro S with all the trimmings, including the C versions of the 50mm, 65mm and 180mm lenses. I've never done any work with a medium format camera, but I did dabble in 4x5 (Linhof Technika) back in the '80's. I also had my own darkroom back in those days (Durst AC707 & a Jobo CPA) as well as a homemade studio, and weaned myself on a Nikon F2 starting back about '74 or so, while I was in Europe.

Anyway, that's me. My Weston V should arrive any day now, and I'm looking forward to being an active participant in the group.

Jan C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG

RB67s are all over the place .. at least, here in Japan they are. Guess all the pros are dumping them. Their loss is our gain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too just recently got a RB67 Pro-S. I've only ran three rolls through it. Came with the 90mm 3.8 C. I immediately bought the 180mm; don't have it yet.
    The RB67 Pro-S is an amazing camera. I just love the revolving back, and the strange looks I got from people when I took it downtown with me this weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, Jan C. from the National Capitol Area. A colleague once told me understanding the dial of the Weston V was the key to understanding exposure. He was right.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. I also have an RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Jan C, welcome from the Boston area. I also own an RB. I like things that don't need batteries - cameras, meters, watches, altimeters, etc.
    Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Jan;

Welcome to the group. You have already discovered thar the RB67 can be fun. Yes, carrying a medium format camera around in a large city will usually generate some really curious looks. You might even get the classical inquiry; "Is that a Hasselblad?"

Congratulations on the relocation to Lake Saranac. My memories of driving through there back in the 1960's are still quite nice.

AnscoJohn has indicated that your choice of the Weston Master V is an excellent choice. I agree, and it does not need a battery. My own is now enroute to Quality Light Metric for a needed repair. The old selenium cell may have finally given up, or a connection has opened up. It has been remarkably reliable. My older Weston Master II is still going, but my eyes are no longer equal to the very fine print on the dial of the Master II.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just an unrelated question. When did newbie become noob? Does it mean something different?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, it means the same thing. Not sure when the new term came about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jan - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. My dad is originally from near that area... Lyon Mountain, NY. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the area, would like to someday.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin