Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,947   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rb compendium question

As part of the remedy for my latest attack of G.A.S. I bought a compendium shade on the auction site.
    It arrived today and I scampered to my camera bag to attach it so I could sit back and admire it. It falls off. Damn!
    Turns out the inside diameter is .115 in. larger than the outside diameter of my 90mm (non C) lens.
    What is the reason for this discrepancy? Does the O.D. of RB lenses vary? Are there different shades?
    I own a lathe and I can easily make a split ring to solve the problem but I really hope I dont' have to make a bunch of different rings as I acquire more lenses.
    Does anyone have more info?
    thanks,
    Larry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    the hood should've come with a mounting ring that screws on to the 77mm filter ring on your lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, your just missing a part. I had a third party shade that came with my original RB kit. It didnt use a mounting ring, just a thumb screw onto the lens. Messed up the finish on the lenses big time so I sold the shade.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    I'll see if the seller still has it and if not I guess I'll have to make one.
    thanks again,
    Larry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Otherwise you could go to your local camera store and see if they have Cokin filters.
    Get a 77mm ring and see if it fits.

I have the same problem with a copendicum that I bought of ebay, it came with a 67mm ring, will see what to do when I am in Holland again.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH has a couple of these rings in stock. For the price, it might be worth it over making one.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the tip.
    You're right about the low cost making the make/buy analysis sort of a no brainer. Even though it's a relatively simple task, by the time I measure, sketch, scrounge a piece of aluminum from my junk pile, set up the machine and recall how to single point metric threads I'll have at least a couple of hours (or more) in it. That's if I don't scrap one or two or cut my fingers off.
    It's just that I've been trying so hard to avoid that doggone KEH place. It's like offering a big bag of dope to a junkie.
    Guess I better spend the twelve bucks. And while I'm at it I'd better order the gel holder too. And I've really been wanting.... Nooooo! Someone help me!, It's an attack of ANAL!
    thanks again for the tip,

Larry

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin