Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,552   Online: 972

Thread: Bronica problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was shooting out in the cold this weekend and when I souped the roll I found that I was getting blank frames. Spacing was even so it wasn't a back problem. Best I can figure the batteries were numbed by the cold and weren't tripping the shutter properly when shooting quickly. Does this sound like a likely scenario or is there another cause I don't know about?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What model Bronica were you using? I have an ETR-S and have used it in really cold weather without a problem.

I have to admit however I have loaded the film backward and all my images were exposed on the backing paper and not the film.

Also I have found that cold slows things down so if the shutter was open longer than normal I would have expected over exposure - just a thought

- Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the Borinica SQ-a. When the batteries die the camera only fires at 1/500th, which could lead to blank, or under exposed frames. Mine also had a problem last year with the battery contacts and had to be sent off to be fixed. I'd try using it inside where it is warm with fresh batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had a problem with my ETRs in cold weather but I too have loaded the film backwards so I was exposing the paper backing instead of the film. I think it was the switching between the Bronica and an old folding camera I had. If this was your problem the whole roll would have been blank and not just the odd frame. When was the last time you changed the battery? It could be a case of low battery voltage and dirty contacts. How are the contacts on the lens you are using? They are electronic leaf shutter lenses I believe.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MikeK and brimc76, glad to hear someone else has that problem, though mine happens with a Mamiya 645. Seems to happen after periods of non-use. I seem to always find it though as soon as I open the back to take the film out.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, if it is an older MC lens on it, make sure that the switch on the lens is set to A and not set for bulb exposures.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was an SQAi with a 220 back on it. Problem was the shutter seems like it didn't fire when it should have. I went through the motions, advanced the film and shot the next. The frames are perfectly clear where it missed and perfectly exposed where it worked. I've never seen it do that before. All the shooting was in the space of 30 minutes just walking around the cabin. Lenscap was never back on the lens and was never bumped or joggled to misfire it. Only other thing I can think of if the frame counter skipped a slot as I wound the film.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since you got "blank" frames instead of underexposed frames we can probably rule out a battery issue (unless 1/500th of a second would have produced a blank frame).

Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I had this problem (with a lens I was testing in hopes of buying) it was the shutter. It dropped about every other frame. I'd have yours checked out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I repair Mamiya RBs and have had similar problems with all types of cameras and shutters during cold weather. You should keep your camera under your coat till it is ready for the shot and stay out no more than a few minutes at most. If you have to keep it out for long periods, you'll experiance a plethora of problems ranging from dead or low batteries to frozen shutters n condensation build up. Battery dependant cameras suffer the most, manual cameras hardy notice the cold if serviced properly.

Anyway this is a first sign your camera needs a little TLC aka CLA... cleaning, lube and adjsuting. How old is the camera and when was it's last service?

Old lube in shutters and mechanisms' gets gunked up in extreme cold and can slow your shutter or also cause it to sporadically fire. Another problem is condensation build up in the camera which can freeze moving parts. Also the slightest amt of oil on iris or shutters blades will keep it from working. While you are servicing the camera, check the light seals too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin