Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,067   Online: 1191

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    The reason you need to load 35mm IR in the dark is because it has no antihalation dye, and will fog down the entire roll. IME, this is not an issue with MF.
    But in fact most current IR films *do* have an antihalation layer, right?---everything but Maco/Efke Aura, I think. So maybe it's not necessary with these films even in 35mm.

Has anyone actually seen fogging via light piping with any current IR film?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    >All of my MF cameras ...... require that you line up a start mark on the film backing with a mark in the camera or back before closing and winding on so that the camera knows where to stop for the first exposure.

My Rolleicord[s] are all like this. I load in normal daylight [shade] all the time. Hint: keep a friction-finger on the spool of film so it won't unwind and loose its tension [ tension seals it well and keeps the light out].

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The `Flex ususally have it from the old "Automat" up to the "F-Series". Cord, T-Model, GX and FX lack it. I´m not sure wheather the Rolleimagic has it or not...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    But in fact most current IR films *do* have an antihalation layer, right?---everything but Maco/Efke Aura, I think. So maybe it's not necessary with these films even in 35mm.

Has anyone actually seen fogging via light piping with any current IR film?

-NT
    You are right for the first part, as Aura is the only film lacking in an AH layer.

HOWEVER! this does not preclude normal Efke IR from the complete darkness rule. I cheated once and changed rolls once in super subdued light once, and it cost me my first three frames. I'll never to that again. All the other current IR films are pretty light pipe free, because they aren't "true infrared," but still, I would use caution with every IR film. How hard is it to carry a changing bag? Am I right?
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidearm613 View Post
    I cheated once and changed rolls once in super subdued light once, and it cost me my first three frames.
    Thanks---good to know! I don't shoot much IR in 35mm, but I'll keep loading it in the dark when I do.

Hmm, I'm not sure how well this line generalises. A Contessa is noble but unobtainable...what can be said about a Bob? :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob does not drink and drive.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    If you like TLRs you should try a Rollei. They have a sensing mechanism that detects the beginning of the film. I always found this superfluous but in your case it would make sense.
    Greetz, Benjamin
    And the Rollei IR filter is also a weak lens that automatically compensates for the IR focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can load and unload all actual IR production films in subdue light.
    With the 35mm films you have to take care of the "light piping " effect. All 120 roll film versions are less sensitive due to the backing paper.

I am using Rollei IR820/400 in 35mm and 120 roll film and only the 35mm film you can see on the first 3-5 frames if you have load the film in the right way.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    You can load and unload all actual IR production films in subdue light.
    With the 35mm films you have to take care of the "light piping " effect. All 120 roll film versions are less sensitive due to the backing paper.

I am using Rollei IR820/400 in 35mm and 120 roll film and only the 35mm film you can see on the first 3-5 frames if you have load the film in the right way.

Best regards,

Robert
    Not true. Efke Aura cannot under any circumstances be loaded in anything less than a dark room. And even all the other "true IR" films should be loaded in darkness. For the record, Rollei isn't a true IR film, because if you look at the sensitivity curves, it drops like a rock after about 750nm.
    David

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was taught that loading IR film (120) in a changing bag is not that good due to the warming up by the hands (and arms) in the little, closed and insulated space.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin